Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Megger
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Been offered an upgrade package for the wifes '99 LX TD - All 4 door looms with E/W switches - rear E/W motors/mechanisms, electric door mirrors and a floor loom. How big a job is it to swap out the existing floor loom for a comparative novice? Any ideas how much an auto electrician or similar would charge? :L

·
at Vanishing Point....
3,994 Posts
It's pretty much all plug n play mate. Whip out the interior, sill covers, carpet and underlay. Oh and the bottom half of the B pillar trims too. Hopefully, being the later car, your door switches that turn on the interior lights will be in the latches.

Just remember to unplug everything, but try to leave it all in situ. Try to get someone else to help you get it out of the car. Try to get it laid out on the floor as if it's still in the car. That should help you get the new loom straightened out and laying ready to go in :L btw the connectors on the body twist out of place. Some might want some help from a screwdriver placed against a ridge and tapped to get them to move :L

Door looms are pretty much the same really. Just plug n play. Rear door electric windows conversions are pretty easy too. There's a couple of bolts holding the glass to the winding mech. Just lower the rear windows a bit until said bolts line up with some holes in the metalwork of the door.

Think thats about it really :L

·
MEG's Resident Removal Man
2,220 Posts
If my car only has the drivers seat to remove then carpet, sills etc and the doner car has everything to remove and 2 rear doors to fit how long would it take one person to swap the ghia x loom over into a current lx mondy?

jcth1

·
Dude
1,941 Posts
You will have to find out what year the loom came out and if it had remote locking or IR locking as this will affect it. also, the airbag connectors under the drivers/passenger seats will change and could stop the air bag/bags from working :L

Apart from that, i have done it, and its an easy job :L

·
2,220 Posts
i know the doner car is 98 same as mine but i dont know if early 98's (R) were like (P) with 2 multiplugs going into the A Pillar from the front doors.

Will find out tomorrow when i get pics.

jcth1

·
at Vanishing Point....
3,994 Posts
It took me and a mate of mine a day to strip out the interior of my Verona and get the floor loom and carpet back in. Mind you, we took out the dashboard too, cos I didn't want a browny grey dash and blue doorcards and seats lol.

Bearing in mind it was November when we did that, we spend about 8 hours outside, to get to a point where all the floorloom was in, and the dash just needed final allignment and bolting in. It took me another two days to get the front and rear doors converted to full electrics, and have all the trim fitted back in. I took my time fitting everything back, and I'm sure that Twiggy will back me up on how "factory" it all looks.

·
2,220 Posts
Cool. Well im hoping that ill have the interior removed :
Carpet
B Pillar Cowls
A Pillar Cowls
Seats (except two for me and my mate on the drive up)

So it would hopefully be just a case of removing the Front Seats, Stripping the Ghia X interior and then fitting the Ghia X loom in place piece by piece over my Lx Loom.

Once the Ghia X Loom is in place should just be a case of removing Lx Loom and put it back as best as i can.

Got 2 days starting at 9am both days and allowed to stay until it gets dark both nights. Gotta fit the rear doors but they'll be a doddle and a bonnet.

Stuff i remove from the doner car will be bagged and tagged and be making its way towards the for sale section.

Thanks for the info. Just how much of the dash did you have to remove? without getting to the point of changing it over. Curious to see if i need to access in behind the center console much during fitting and removal.

jcth1

·
at Vanishing Point....
3,994 Posts
JCTH1 said:
Thanks for the info. Just how much of the dash did you have to remove? without getting to the point of changing it over. Curious to see if i need to access in behind the center console much during fitting and removal.
The floor loom runs over the trans tunnel (iirc) right under the centre console. So, you'll at least have to remove the heater panel (maybe not can't remember if it sits behind or infront of the centre console tags.

Erm, as for the dash panels, you should be able to get to most things by taking out the lower panel on the drivers side, and the glovebox. There was quite a bit of sound deadening / insulation right behind where the door connectors are. Nothing a careful slice with a knife can't fix :L

Like you've said though, by keeping the loom laid out as if it's in the car will help with fitting the new loom back in. All the rigid plastic trunkated sections of loom should just fall into place for ya :L

Good luck. Hope the weathers not too cold for the swap :L :D

·
2,220 Posts
Got no choice because ive already laid out cash for a b and b so me and my mate can go up and deal with the car over two days.

If time wise is going ok ill try to take pictures and perhaps if they're good enough and of reasonable quality and can show whats what ill turn then into a workshop submissions.

jcth1

·
Dude
1,941 Posts
Its a snap to install the floor loom. Remove all front seats, and rear bench. Remove the 3 screws from the center console under the arm rest. Then upplug it all, and pull it to the back of the car, our from under the carpet and center console and re fit.
Its how i did mine. Nice and easy :L
Id give it a 2 spanner rating

·
at Vanishing Point....
3,994 Posts
Cool_dood said:
Id give it a 2 spanner rating
Id give it a 4 spanner rating - 2 for the job and 2 for me and my mate for so much as even attempting such a task: I'd yet to discover the World Of MEG and it's vast bank of knowledge at the time of the loom change lol.

·
2,220 Posts
Well i raped my car today with my mate. Wasnt as hard as i was expecting.

Still will try to do a walk through for it or at least a little guide to help others.

Spoke to Tesla earlier and he told me about the last bits to do:

CTU, Drivers Side mutli plugs and the A pillar plugs.

If this is a 2 spanner operation then i should be knackered as im only a one spanner man.

Going Northampton wednesday morning to start the swap outside the womans mothers under her car port. Lets hope it will be as nice weather as it was today. Got 2 days so hopefully will do the lot.

Ive taken aload of pics for before and after so will try to get them in multimedia if my car works and i make it bk thursday night.

Thanks to all those who've contributed to me high jacking this persons thread. Lets hope it pays off.

jcth1

·
2,220 Posts
Didnt happen. The people whipped out the engine and the drivers seat wouldnt move so i could unbolt it.

The loom was also a 2 multiplug one rather than the one multiplug so wouldnt of went in mine any way.

jcth1

·
TDDI Buff
37,060 Posts
shame :(

·
2,220 Posts
still on course awaiting pics of new loom. Whatever the outcome it needs to be done before the 14th april as im off to the countryman game fair at kelmarsh hall.

will keep things updated.

jcth1

1 - 16 of 16 Posts