Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Well looks like i will be poppping a few questions on here over the next few days .
the cars a mondeo tdci (130) 02 plate 94k.
lovely car until the other day .ive had a hunt thru a few of the forums , and would like some help myself.
problem ,,, intermittent cutting out, total loss of power,steering so on.
the glow plug light flashes just before this happens, also not wanting to start now and again ,,same thing glow plug light flashes, ive asked a few peeps that i know , and first thing they suggest is maybe the crank sensor is stuffed ?
i had a look at changing it last night , just about found it under the heap of pipes, but have to take other things off just to get near it, main thing i want to get off to get near the sensor is a black cannister, is it ok to take this off ?or will oil piss out everwhere ? one end goes to the turbo the other to the small rad behind the bottom of the front grill, now this may sound like i'm a dummy , but allways like to have a go before taking it down to the ford dealers to line there pokets.. but dont want to get myself stranded either at work !!
cheers in advance for any advise.
ps: more posts to follow ...just not so long ..;) :L

·
Glen
4,110 Posts
not sure exactly what the black cannister is but if it adjoins the turbo and the intercooler, then it is just an air pipe, but there might be a slight oily coating inside

·
Big Megger
203 Posts
Could well be crank sensor AFAIK that would explain the starting problem (wife's Clio had this go and intermittant starting was a nightmare) but once running it would probably be rough every so often but not sure it would stop.

Hate to say it, but going into limp home or cutting out and reluctance to start, glow plug light flashing, could be injectors.....

Have you had the fault codes read? With this sort of thing it should be giving a fault code. I'm not sure if there is any point in replacing bits until you've checked to see what the code is as you might just be wasting money.

Cheers,
J

·
Big Megger
203 Posts
Heh, serves me right for not keeping up with the forum really ;) So it's a question of how much time and money is it to do the sensor as it's likely to be the problem vs getting the codes read to hopefully confirm it, don't know the answer to that one.....

Cheers,
J

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Many thanks for the quick response,, i have been given a crank sensor ( a good one ) so just a question of time to do it and taking the skin off my knuckles !!

will lte you know the outcome .
cheers Mav

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi all.
Just thought i better nip back and do a update ,,,after ferking about and scraping my knuckles getting the crank sensor off and on , off again ,,,and yes back on ! it made no differance, and decided a call to Mr AA would be better , i got plugged in ,faults> MAF sensor ( could have been due to it spluttering to a halt.Crank sensor moved ( i expect came from me taking it off ! ) & Cam sensor, changed the Cam sensor ...10 min job and no problems ever since. needless to say , i wish i had called Mr AA first, but i do like to get my hands dirty and have a go first.
many thanks for all the replies.

Mavrik2k7

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.