Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My Focus Mk3 2014 1.6Tdci recently failed the MOT emissions test - exhaust gas opacity too high. It's got 75k miles on the clock

I'd already put 400ml of Forte DPF cleaner in about a week before. On the advice of the MOT mechanic, I took it for a drive up the motorway in 3rd and it just scraped through the retest.

I still don't think it's right though - the exhaust pipe is sooty and if you watch the exhaust while someone else blips the throttle you can see a bit of black smoke. I had the same problem at the last MOT, but the one before that was fine.

We don't normally do many long runs - just a daily 2 x 8 miles ride and the mechanics think that this is the problem. But surely the whole point of the DPF is that it is meant to stop ANY black smoke particles getting through? I could understand if the problem was the DPF getting blocked up, but that does not seem to be the case. Could it be that there is a crack in the DPF? The car had done 44k miles when we got it, so I don't think anyone will have messed with the DPF before we owned it.

I've had a look with Forscan and no relevant DTCs are showing up. I've also looked at what I think are relevant PIDs when stopped, idling and at 3000rpm (parked up). Here they are:

I checked with Forscan a week later and got these results on idle:

The DPF_SOOT_LD has gone up from 15% to 54%. I'm thinking that this will go up some more and at some point trigger a regen. Is that how it works?

Any help appreciated.
Lance

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Follow up:
A few days later after a drive, I heard the cooling fan running after parking up. So I checked again with Forscan (it was a couple of days later) and the DPF_SOOT_LD had gone down to 13%. On the other hand, DPF_LOAD is 0% - not sure if that is right?

Font Number Screenshot Parallel Rectangle

The exhaust is still looking sooty.

Can anyone help me please?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts