Ford Automobiles Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi if any one could help me my car's ABS and Traction control lights has just come on is there any faults with the wiring I could try and fix before I splash out £70+ on a new sensor.

·
Registered
1 Posts
if the light comes on when u move off it could be your reluctor rings which are on the cv joints on the front and the hubs on the back..

they go rusty and have even been known to break off completely causing abs and traction errors.

ether give them a good clean or you can replace them completely ,there available through ebay..

also make sure you have tyres on that are the same profile ,putting lower profile tyres on the front or rear can also cause this as it sees wheels turning faster than the others and assumes a fault.

if the light is on b4 even moving the car it could be the abs/tcs ecu or the sensors, plugs ,wiring..

·
Super Moderator
19,001 Posts
Hi. i had problems with my abs and traction control, only i didn't have a light. As you have the light on, you should be able to get a code out of it.

As just mentioned, you can try several things, well worth inspecting the reluctor rings, and check your tyre sizes match. It is possible for a new vs worn tyre to upset the abs, but it is fairly rare.

You say you don't want to fork out £70 on a sensor, don't, on ebay you can get the rears for under £30, delivered, Ford want £100+ for a sensor. The rears are damaged upon removal, no matter what technique you use (I tried about 10 sensors, didn't get 1)

If you need a front sensor, you can remove these off scrap cars, with an 8mm spanner/socket. It is worth taking a few slightly smaller sockets, from 7mm up (5/16" etc). I paid £1 each at my local scrappy, i got 2, found they both worked and it was my rear. Mk1/2 mondeo ones are the same.

You can test the rears with a couple of crocodile clips and a multimeter, see how, from post #36 on in this link. http://www.talkford.com/community/topic/158799-strange-brakes/page-4

I bought this rear sensor: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-MONDEO-COUGAR-MK1-MK2-Rear-ABS-Speed-Sensor-1025014-R-L-93-00-/230862022180?fits=Model%3AMondeo&hash=item35c072e624:m:mDiyWOq5v-4UYX0BKfjJmcA

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry it's been a while but I've found that the reluctor ring had split. How do I fit a new one please.

·
Super Moderator
19,001 Posts
Sorry it's been a while but I've found that the reluctor ring had split. How do I fit a new one please.
They are available to buy but to fit one requires the driveshaft to be stripped down.

The chap in the video shows how it is done:

The other option is to replace the cv or shaft. If you do choose this route, you might find it cheaper to use a shaft from a mk1 or mk2 mondeo. If you choose the same engine and box option, you can't really go wrong.

1.8 and 2.0 petrol manual box shafts
2.5 v6 petrol manual box shafts
1.8 and 2.0 petrol auto shafts
2.5 v6 petrol auto shafts

I think the manual ones are all the same, as are the auto ones, but to be safe, i'd choose the same engine size, and box type to be sure.

I've a mk2 mondeo, and my cv went, and the rings were ok on it, i looked into replacing the cv, and while doing so, came across j&r driveshafts.
They sell new cheap complete shafts, if you need it doing urgently, and are fitting yourself without access to heat (like in the video), it could be worth looking into. Only slightly more than a second hand one...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've done some searching and a second-hand one works out dearer than a new one from j&r driveshafts £40 plus postage to £34 from J&R so guess where I'm going.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2000 model V6 2.5 Cougar. Every so often the ABS, Brake Warning light and Traction Control lights come on and stay on. Neither rhyme nor reason to it but if they are going to come on it's after about an hours freeway driving. Not after braking. Brake fluid is okay.

I have spent AUD$250 with the local Ford dealers who played with the computer and reckoned that they had fixed the problem (they thought that the computer hadn't been re-adjusted after putting slightly bigger tyres on the back) but it just happened again.

·
Super Moderator
29,376 Posts
What fault codes do you get?

Bigger tyres on the back? Are all 4 tyres not the exact same size?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts