1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi ive a mk4 2.2 on a 08 plate car turns over but will not start,
theres fuel getting up to the pump .
it will run on easy start but then dies,
the car has had a very minor bumpon the front bumper drivers side .
any ideas guys

·
Super Moderator
31,663 Posts
Check the fuel pressure when cranking. Fuel filter full of fuel?

Any OBDII codes?

·
Super Moderator
31,663 Posts
Slightly undo the pipe leading to one injector and crank the engine, any fuel spraying out?

Keep away because if the fuel does spray out its under extremely high pressure.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so after hours of messing about im still at a loss.
heres the latest run down
so replaced fuel filter and topped it full of fuel,took off fuel feed to high pressure pump and sucked fuel up through the filter got a good mouth full.put that back on pump.cranked engine wont start .fed it some easy start and it started whilst it ran on easy start i cranked one of the injectors on the high pressure rail and tons of air came out you could see loads of bubbles in the clear pipe and the return pipes back to the filter.theres plenty of pressure up to the fuel rail.not forgetting im only running on easy start little blasts to keep it ticking over.
got rid of 60 percent air trapped but still will not start without a blast of easy start.i lifted up the filter and it felt half empty.so i removed the inlet pie thats comes from the tank ,put key on cranked over and nothing was blasting out ..its the pipe that goes to the fuel filter from the tank.ive checked the fuel pump fuse thats ok.by the way when im running on easy start theres no accelaration from the pedal..so does any one reckon the fuel sender pump is fooooked should there be a blast of fuel from that pipe when took off filter..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here goes..
bought a non running mondeo mk4 2008 2.2 titanium x and have tried all sorts to get it running
first off the pump/sender unit in the tank was not pumping fuel up to the filter so replaced that .replaced the fuel filter too.the problem im having is it will not start .
the clear fuel line that runs from the filter was full of air bubbles so went and fitted an inline pump before the fuel filter so now its constant solid fuel up to the high pressure pump.
ive cranked engine and cracked open the nearest injector to the drivers side and are getting a good stream of air and fuel .done exactly the same with the other injectors cranked engine bleed air out but still none runner.ive connected forscan and there is just one code that says egr valve low voltage .if i blast easy start into the air box it runs obv until the easy start vapours off.
ive tried all sorts with this and at my witts end any suggestions guys..am i missing something stupid ??

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
The fuel filter on these needs to be bled properly. If it is then it will start dead easy after a filter change. I’d satisfy yourself on that first.
Not really an issue on the 2.2 as it has a low pressure pump in the fuel tank. It'll pretty much self bleed.

Easy start won't tell you a huge amount on a diesel other than you have compression and the intake is intact.

If you have fuel at the high pressure fuel rail, the next thing is to see if the injectors are firing - check if you have any electrical control signal at the injectors. If you do then remove injectors and test them, if not, then look at the output from the crank sensor and see if that looks correct.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Not really an issue on the 2.2 as it has a low pressure pump in the fuel tank. It'll pretty much self bleed.

Easy start won't tell you a huge amount on a diesel other than you have compression and the intake is intact.

If you have fuel at the high pressure fuel rail, the next thing is to see if the injectors are firing - check if you have any electrical control signal at the injectors. If you do then remove injectors and test them, if not, then look at the output from the crank sensor and see if that looks correct.
Why have you said it’s not an issue? Not being difficult- just want to understand. YouTube is full of people who haven’t bled the filter properly, with the car running for a few seconds and then dying. I went to a lot of trouble bleeding mine properly & it started first time with no issue. You need to put a vacuum pump in the return line to the tank (as you look at the front of the car it’s the left hand pipe furthest away from you). Then, with the engine off just pump until there are no more bubbles. You are filling the filter and pipework with fuel. Worked for me.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I suspect most of the videos you're referring to are the other engines - the 2.2 is the only one with an electric fuel pump in the fuel tank. The rest have to draw fuel directly from the HPFP under negative pressure. If there is any air in the fuel lines up to the HPFP it won't prime.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I suspect most of the videos you're referring to are the other engines - the 2.2 is the only one with an electric fuel pump in the fuel tank. The rest have to draw fuel directly from the HPFP under negative pressure. If there is any air in the fuel lines up to the HPFP it won't prime.
The 2.0 Duratec HE & 2.5i5 have in tank pumps

·
Registered
3 Posts
The in line pump I've fitted is supplying a solid stream of fuel to the hpp. So wa I did next was take out one of the injectors then connected back up to the metal pipes and plugged back in the plug on the injector.. Got a mate to crank whilst I bled the rail and that injector pipe. Solid fuel but nothing was firing out from the injector so what operates the electric part on the injector I'm guessing the ecu and crank shaft sensor? If there where faults on any of these woukd I be getting codes related too these being a fault. I've checked fuses relays all OK. Also on for scan here's what I'm getting in dtc

Attachments

·
Registered
429 Posts
Crank sensors can cause problems on many cars, Vauxhall were particularly prone some years ago, but I thought the Mk4 Tdci was quite solid in that area. Can you look at live data to see whether you are getting a signal from it? It might be worth changing as it’s about £20 or so. Located to the lower left of the crank pulley, you may need to take the wheel & arch liner out to access it. Good luck 🤞

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Your P0698 is most likely the reason for no start. Inspect the wiring harness from the PCM in detail. Do you have a multimeter to check the reference voltage at the crankshaft sensor?

Did you check the control signal to the injectors?

·
Super Moderator
31,663 Posts
Is it like a petrol where it will only prime for a few seconds before it stops? Using the ignition on/off to drain the tank
on a 2010 Fiesta a little while back. The pump would only run for 5 seconds before it stopped even though I had
the fuel line disconnected so no rail pressure.

I stuck the a vacuum line to the fuel pipe and it came out slowly, putting the ignition on even with the pump not running
and the fuel flowed freely. Assumed a valve on the emissions side closed with the engine off so no air entering.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts