Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, so ran into abit of a issue with my ford ranger 2007 4x4 2.5.

So I was driving back home and the truck cut out, upon pulling it out of gear and attempting to start while on the dual carriage, started back up and soon as I went to put into gear whole truck locked up and smoke blared from everywhere, Pulled out of gear and coasted into hard shoulder, tried to start up, banging then starter locked up, got towed home as wasn't far.

checked underneath and attempted to restart when home, starter locked up again after few cranks, pulled starter and checked with mirror, couldn't see any damage to inside clutch or fly, replaced starter. Attempted restart, starts up with banging sound from gearbox/back of engine area. Cuts out if you don't accerlatrate upon starting. Decided to check timing as at 96k miles, don't think last owner done it, got timing kit and lined up timing marks fine, was pretty tight at certain points of rotation to top dead centre that had me alittle worried. Replaced timing and all lines up fine. Restarted truck same banging, ripped gearbox off for inspection, no issues with new clutch fitted 3000 miles ago, fly wheel couldn't see any issues.

Opened rocker cover and couldn't see any damage up there.
Injectors have all been removed previously and new seals put on.

I did see abit of oil leak from the top left of rocker cover head area on the back of the engine which is dripping down onto the gearbox.

Also forgot to say, only diagnostic code was for air mass flow sensor, replaced it.

I'm currently away kayaking till the weekend so gave myself a break from sorting my new headache, thinking next is pressure test and possible piston issue? Hopefully I'm over thinking it.. as was thinking was gearbox but couldn't find any issue with it, any way to verify gearbox?

Thanks for any info or input on where to go next.
sadly I didn't make a video of the truck when running

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Possible issue with air intake manifold? I'll strip that off before rebuilding or stripping anything else haha

1 - 2 of 2 Posts