Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
MEG Colonel
1,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Haven't posted for ages, so if this is in the wrong area, sorry! :)

I'm interested in any thoughts you have on the Ranger. the one i'm looking at is a 2003 xlt.

pro's cons etc etc.

thanks! :)

·
Fail faced tartan chodder
13,734 Posts
Bloody hell, blast from the past!! Welcome back :L

No idea on the Ranger though.... :ponder:

·
AWOL
19,522 Posts
You're right. Two posts in the last year! :}

No idea on the Ranger either but hope you're doing ok :)

·
ME
5,869 Posts
A mate at work has had a couple, all I can say is he never had any problems with them. He did only have each one for about nine months though. I think the only reason he hasn't bought another is because we can't get discount on them anymore.

·
MEG Commander
6,006 Posts
Nice 1 m8 I've just bought one myself :thumbup:

heres mine but I've now removed the bullbar

Pros - Very roomy inside and in the load area, quite good to drive, nice interior (stretch to the Thunder if you can as you get the extras such as leather seats), easy to work on (no jacks needed just crawl underneath lol), Mazda engine and running gear so decent reliability, MPG actually not to bad - high 20s if you drive it gently, will tow anything - tows my caravan like it isn't there.

Cons - Slightly underpowered it's a bit flat until the turbo kicks in, they are very big! dont expect to take it everywhere and park it easily, they have a poor turning circle, cant think of anything else, they are well built usefull machines :thumbup:
Don't think I would like to run one as my everyday only car tho purely from a practicality point of view.

Steve

·
Tyne & Wear Meets Organiser
6,047 Posts
bloody hell Steve m8, how many cars you got now? lol

Looks very nice i must say, :L

·
MEG Colonel
1,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
stevedohc16v said:
they are very big! dont expect to take it everywhere and park it easily, they have a poor turning circle,
Steve
that doesn't sound very promising for everyday use... :ponder:

how does it compare size-wise with the Touareg? i drive one of those for work sometimes..

thanks fro the advice! :)

·
MEG Commander
6,006 Posts
Aurelia said:
stevedohc16v said:
they are very big! dont expect to take it everywhere and park it easily, they have a poor turning circle,
Steve
that doesn't sound very promising for everyday use... :ponder:

how does it compare size-wise with the Touareg? i drive one of those for work sometimes..

thanks fro the advice! :)
The Ranger is deffo longer but probably the same width, it will feel bigger than the VW because the front bonnet and rear overhangs are bigger, dont get me wrong it is possible to park in normal car spaces but it is a bit more challenging! First thing I did with mine is put reverse sensors on it.

Steve

·
The Mad Kiwi
3,849 Posts
Im sorry but is that an SUV or a Ute because we have Ranger Utes down here and they pull like jack the bear. Before that it was the Courier

·
The Mad Kiwi
3,849 Posts
Oh, I see it now. It has a canopy over the tray...whoops...

That particular model is called the Courier here. My old man had one which went quite well. One thing they are bad for is that they chew glow plugs like they're going out of fashion. Otherwise, its a really reliable, reasonably powerful Ute that are a dime a dozen down here. Mazda built them as well labelled as the Bounty (Bravo in Australia), but otherwise identical

Then we have the Ranger which has the 3L TDCI and are very powerful, so much so that they tyres have to be fitted in a specific way, otherwise the tyres just spin on the wheel. Mazda make the same thing called the BT50 which is identical to the Ranger apart from the badges. The latest Ranger was delayed from releasing here due to the floods in Thailand, which is where they are built. They run a 3.2L 5 cylinder TDCI aparrently pulled from the Transit. The BT50 uses the same chassis and running gear but all the body panels are different this time around. These are supposedly the safest Utes ever built, attaining a 5-star ANCAP safety rating. It has stiff competition though, with Nissan releasing its latest iteration of the Navara, the STX550 3L V6 DTi, Toyota's latest Hilux, the Holden Colorado, and Mitsubishi's poor excuse for a Ute.

Ford and Holden also make Ute versions of the Falcon and Commodore respectively, and both have handed them over to their tuning departments (FPV and HSV) to have fun with. The latest is the FG F6 Tornado with a 4L turbocharged in line 6 making over 310kw, while HSV has the R8 Maloo with a 300kw V8 LS2 or LS3 or something bonkers. Both cars have traction issues through the first 4 gears. I've seen an F6 engine produce over 1100 hp on reasonably standard internals (well FPV standard)

·
Registered
10 Posts
i think ford has introduced already many new models recently. but why you are still behind the Ranger, its a good car but still you have a lot of good options rather than Ranger.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts