Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am new to forums and have been researching about a problem with my Ford S-Max (2008) 1.8TDCI which kangaroos and looses power at around 2,500 revs. The engine revs fine when in neutral. The engine management light is not illuminted and I dont get any errors/warnings/lights on the dash at all. I've noticed a strong acrid smell after driving. After reading up I have tried a few things but without success-

- I have disconnected the battery for 30 mins and reconnected. This gave no improvement.

- I have disconnected the wire to the Mass Airflow Sensor to see if the drive improves. The engine seem to rev a little higher before kangarooing. The MIL illuminates when disconnected and goes out again after a short while when I reconnect.

- I have replaced the Mass Airflow Sensor with a new one from an eBay seller who appear to be have a thorough ebay history. It was advertised as genuine Ford part. This gave no improvement.

I have read that the acrid smell could be due to fuel starvation and a possible cause could be a faulty advance solenoid. On turning the ignition on, I do not hear any clicks at all from under the bonnet. Is this normal? Should I be hearing clicking from the advance solenoid and/or from relays in, or around, the fuse box?

Any advice is much appreciated as I can't afford to get a Ford dealership to diagnose my problem.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Someone with a 1.8 transit connect had a similar problem not too long ago, solved by changing the fuel filter. No smell but same problem around 2500 rpm .

Search for a thread called transit connect running problems.

Posted Via The Free TalkFord.com App

·
Registered
2 Posts
FIXED

Many thanks BunkerMan for your reply. Yes it was the diesel fuel filter. Had it changed at a local garage and it was resolved in 15 minutes, or so.

ALSO PARKING SENSOR FAULT FIXED

At the same time the mechanic fixed a problem with my parking sensors. The sensors where giving an error beep when i turned on the ignition. It turned out to be a single faulty sensor and he identified the faulty one using a stethoscope. When the ignition is turned on each sensor should slightly crackle for about a second. He found one not crackling, swapped it and resolved the problem in around 10 minutes. Brilliant, no trip to Ford for them to mess around for ages trying this, that, and the other to trace the fault.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Awesome. Sounds like you found a good mechanic. Stick with them, they're hard to find.

Thanks for posting with your results. Often people don't say how things went.

Posted Via The Free TalkFord.com App

1 - 4 of 4 Posts