Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Megger
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I'm looking for a bit of advice.

I've got a Mk3 ST TDCi Estate with a persistent misfire when cold. I can't afford to take it to the local dealer and bend over, and likewise I'm starting to suspect that my local Delphi service centre don't know sh1t from clay.

I want to buy some diagnostic software and am drowning in search results.

I'm looking for the ability to read existing injector codes, reset any tuning parameters, apply new codes and also allow me to see as much data as possible: I'm particularly interested in input signals (MAF, CHT, ECT and so on) and injector pulses if possible.

I appreciate that this has probably been asked many times on here, but which would be the best tool for my needs?

Cheers!

Neil.

· ???
3,627 Posts

· Megger
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Brilliant, this looks just the ticket. Thanks Peter!

I've just emailed Tomas, hopefully he can ship quickly... My fingers are itching.

I should have mentioned that my car has a build date of February 2005.

· ???
3,627 Posts
Hi Neil,

It is an excellent tool (I have no connection with Fordiag, financial or otherwise) and probably gives you access to everything that can be accessed. There are still one or two peripheral features that could be improved but Tomas continues to work on it and updates the software periodically.

I certainly have no regrets in purchasing it.

Peter

· Super Moderator
31,911 Posts

· Registered
88 Posts
Now you have cheaper than the F-Super, it's an elm327 (10£ or less on ebay for the usb version) with the forscan software (available here: http://www.forscan.org/ )
It read all dtc, including eatc, xenon headlight,... and you can do live data with selected value with more accuracy than F-Super/Forscan.
The ForScan v2 which will be release in the end of february will also add the recoding injector function.

So if you haven't problem which need an urgent injector recoding, i'm thinking best solution is to be patient till end of february.

Another advantage is you can bought an elm 327 bluetooth, so you don't have cable, more practical with a computer in a car!

And it works on mondeo 2001 tddi!

David

· Super Moderator
31,911 Posts
But the ELM 327 wont work on early diesels and doesnt have the injector codes for later ones
so rather limited.

Can the ELM device read injector codes? Since when have they worked on pre 2004 diesels?

Actually Mid 2003 ishhh...

· Megger
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What I really want is an email back from the Fordiag guy...

It seems well proven and feature rich. I'd sooner go for that than wait for something that may not materialise

Cheers guys

Neil.

· Registered
88 Posts
Ok, Neil

For Purple, the injector read/write function will be added on the next version (2.0), but i don't know if it will works on mondeo with separate injector module or not.
That's why i think, if you don't have problem with injector now, please be patient and don't spend money for ForDiag now. Maybe Forscan will be able to program your injector cheaper than fordiag.

All the parameters (requested by Neil) like MAF, CHT, ECT, FUELPW... works well with an elm327 & Forscan.

I've some screenshot of this soft on my car, if you want i can post them in this post.

I've seen you have an elm bluetooth Purple, so you can try easily this software. It works on my non-obd2 compliant car

· Super Moderator
31,911 Posts
I dont know anyone with a pre 2003 car now.. But my ELM scanner didnt work on my sisters
2002 TDCI.

· Registered
88 Posts
I dont know anyone with a pre 2003 car now.. But my ELM scanner didnt work on my sisters
2002 TDCI.
Your ELM will work on your sister's car with ForScan!
The problem was software and not hardware. The non-obd2 compliant car don't answer at all request, and particularly those where communication protocol are detected, so 99% of software will not connect to my car... except ForScan.

My ELM has been long times in the toy box of my son to teethe, because i'm thinking they will never work on my car!

· Garry
27 Posts
dav062

I have just had a go at installing it and running it with an OBDII connector but it comes up with an error message "No ELM found please check connection" should it be able to run with an F-Super OBDII connector?

Cheers Garry

· Registered
5,522 Posts
They only advertise elm327. Not looked at the fsuper build but my vote would be no esp as it's clearly expectinvsomething that id's itself as elm. Elm327 is a pic microchip which contains code to do protocol translation. The complete cable has this plus other bits so not as simple as you might expect. ...

· Registered
54 Posts
Hello, and big thanks for Peter, Purple, dav062, and for guy whose name I dont rem, but had posted perfect picture earlier to describe the coding order, sticker in rocker cover etc.

I needed to use mirror to get codes from cyl 1..3, cyl4 injector I cleaned with ultrasonic from friend, big thanks to RV!

I think I can confirm that with Forscan 2.1.15 + elm327 I was able to re-code the 301z injctrs on my 2002. Tdci with separate ICU system. It dont provide read however.

I read codes first with Formidable, but luckily I read a post (thanks again to writer), that fmdble dont provide correct codes, it left two cylinders empty.

So I donno what codes icu actually had, but atleast after recoding it started immediately! I still have problem that it dies after releasing pedal after high rpm, and it dont start again. More on next post, sorry if confusing someone. Main idea here was confirm that I think Forscan is able to do the job with pre-facelift models.

· Registered
5,522 Posts
Excellent news about the recoding. I don't think even IDS can read codes on early cars like mine. If Forscan does work then much cheaper and quicker to get than Fordiag, and in some ways more functions than F_super/formidable. However -

the current version 2.1.16 has had the functionality removed according to their download page pending investigation of reported instances of it not working....

But 2.1.15 is still available for download.

· Registered
5,522 Posts
Anybody know if a fordiag cable has pin 13 connected on the obd plug please?

· Registered
54 Posts
One clarification now later on:

Forscan+elm327 it seemed succesful to write the inj codes, and my tdci 02 started immediately after coding and run smoothly.

However, still I have the problem, that normally it dont start at all, or I mean, I need to start something like 30 seconds (and still it dont start every time). Then it might idle at 500rpm very badly, until it suddenly wakes up to 800rpm. Then it throttles Ok etc, I can ree it to 4000rpm etc. It can run idle for as long I want. However when load is introduced it can stall ( I think it dont stall if I have throttle ON, but when visit on idle and bring load at same time(moving car)).

I have read from forum about Ford software fix for minimum injector pulse learning wrong...donno if my car has that or what..sometimes I feel it starts once easier, if batt has been away and reloaded...

More on next writing..

· Registered
54 Posts
I ment to say also, that when I realized coding did not fix my problem (easy start was a random case), I did the recoding still 2 times. However on those times it had no help on starting, so it must had been pure luck that it once started ok after coding immediately. Sorry if Im now posting these to bit wrong subject. Maybe I need to open own title for my tdci problem.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.