Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've found that ELM327 works on ALL mondeo mk3, so i'll just let you know this software.

At the moment, the software can't recode injector, maybe in future release.

The software is FORScan, you can download it here: http://www.forscan.org/home.html in the download page.

I've tested this soft on my ford mondeo 2001 tddi (so no obd2 compliant). Previously, i'm using the F-Super because everybody says: 'Your car isn't obd2 compliant, so you can use only F-Super'. Now it's false, you can use cheap ELM327 on your tddi(for tdci, it's better with injector coding, so F-Super or Fordiag is better).

Some screenshot of my car with the bluetooth elm327 and FORScan software:
1- List of detected modules on my car

2- DTC readings of all detected modules

3- List of pids detected on my car:

4- And a small 'scope' of few pids with car running

For information:
- Red curve: APP_V1 accelerator pedal position 1 (in volt)
- Green curve: ECT engine coolant temperature (in °C)
- Blue curve: MAP Manifold Absolute Pressure (in kPa)
- Purple curve: Engine RPM

This software can also let you know if you have a DTCs on other module like EATC, xenon headlight,....

Hope this post will help people which search cheapest solution to diagnose her car.

David

·
Super Moderator
30,044 Posts
Live data dashboard style? What does it show?

Was the cylinder head temperature really minus 7392ºC ?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, time is very cold in France

It's a small bug in data conversion i think! Real temp is on the first screenshot (-1°C).

I haven't screenshot of the Data dashboard, i prefer scope mode to save data and read them after. But you have a screenshot in the documentation of FORScan (http://www.forscan.org/documentation.html ).
It's a 'F-Super like' interface where you can view only numeric indicator, and if you want keep the data, you must use CamStudio to record your screen. You can show up to 30 data on the dashboard ( only 8 on scope mode).

And the data refresh rate (on scope mode) is good, i've only 50 to 60ms between each data frame(for the case of reading the 4 values, app_v1, ect, map and rpm), and i'm using bluetooth adapter which is not very good for fast data transfer!

·
Super Moderator
30,044 Posts
Yes F-Super biggest drawback. No logging...

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just an update to let you know that FORScan recode injector now (on all mk3 mondeo).

(I haven't tested this functionnality because my car is a tddi!)

Some other function/module have been added like the Fuel Injector pump on tddi, and possibility to monitoring parameters other than PCM, like abs module, gem module, eatc module, fip module...

You can download this soft here: http://www.forscan.org/download.html

·
MEG Corporal
5,689 Posts
yep it dosent surprise me that some of the older code readers which did not interface well at all with ford in the past are now doing so . since most of these if not in fact all are made by the same elect..corp ..in China .I have no doubt that they will have similar make up and soft ware drive.. in the past not so long ago . this elm and launch four years ago cost four hundred quid .,,yes 400 and odd quids if my memory serves and it still was hazy on not so early fords and couldent look at some other models .. s

·
???
3,628 Posts
Just an update to let you know that FORScan recode injector now (on all mk3 mondeo).
F-Super can only recode injectors ~2004 onwards. Do you think you have managed to arrange ELM327 to code the earlier cars with the separate Injector Control Unit. (ICU)?

Also, any plans for a Bluetooth/Android version?

Peter

·
MEG Sergeant
3,099 Posts
would any reader (available to us, the poor) report historical DTC's? when swad diesels did a scan (£45/5 minutes) it threw up the injector fault but also a "low fuel pressure" error that f super didnt, id changed the fuel filter the day before so that was the cause, also, can any reader check output voltages for the knock sensor?

·
???
3,628 Posts
Hi Steve,

The output voltage is tiny. It's in millivolts.

Fordiag doesn't display the raw output voltage but it displays the ratio of the combustion noise for each cylinder relative to the level of background noise.

Peter

·
John
79 Posts
Hello,

Not having had to delve into this area yet with my 02 Mondeo. I was wondering what sort of connection lead is required and where do you get one to interface with a laptop and the Mondeo? I assume that the laptop end would be USB. This download may well be ok but a lead would be needed.

John

·
???
3,628 Posts
Hi John,

Interface cables connect to a socket that is mounted in the driver's foot well on the lower edge of the dashboard just to right of the steering column. You need to feel around for it and it pulls down to gain access to it. If you can't find it then put your head in the foot well and look up behind the dash.

If you intend to change injectors on your car then the only interface cable known to work is Fordiag (see sticky at the top of the Diesel Engines section).

In this thread the Forscan designer claims that he has enhanced ELM327 to work with your car but I don't think this has been tried/tested.

Peter

·
MEG Sergeant
3,099 Posts
Hi Steve,

Fordiag doesn't display the raw output voltage but it displays the ratio of the combustion noise for each cylinder relative to the level of background noise.

Peter
now then, i read its 4v to the KS but could only get 0.004 volts DC, so thats right then?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
F-Super can only recode injectors ~2004 onwards. Do you think you have managed to arrange ELM327 to code the earlier cars with the separate Injector Control Unit. (ICU)?

Also, any plans for a Bluetooth/Android version?

Peter
I think it works on earlier cars with separate ICU. On the download page of FORScan, for the 2.1.2 beta, 2013-08-03 , i read :

• + New service function Change Fuel Injector Correction Factors, only for pre-CAN TDCi engines:

• Ford Mondeo Mk3 2.0/2.2 TDCi 2001 model year (before and after restyling in 2003)

So it should work!

For the Android version, it's planned, but no release date actually( FAQ page on website say: 'after FORScan 2.0').

I'm using bluetooth elm327 adapter on my laptop computer to connect my tddi, so no problem with bluetooth adapter.

I'm not FORScan designer/developer, i'm just a tester for some function on tddi, so if you have question about injector coding, i can't really help!

·
???
3,628 Posts
Hi Steve,

Peter
now then, i read its 4v to the KS but could only get 0.004 volts DC, so thats right then?
Here's the spec..

Attachments

·
MEG Sergeant
3,099 Posts
cheers but that only states the KS output voltage as 27mv = or minus 10 (17-37mv)

it was the input voltage I measured

since I put the EGR blank back on its not brought the KS fault back on...

·
???
3,628 Posts
Hi Steve,

As I understand it the knock sensor is just a piezo electric crystal with two terminals. The ECU just detects the very small voltages that are generated across the terminals in response to it being knocked. There is no power supplied to the sensor, although the ECU input may be sitting at some convenient (to it) voltage and perhaps that it what you are seeing.

https://delphi.com/shared/pdf/ppd/sensors/et_flat_knock.pdf

http://www.mtg-technologies.com/automotivesubpages/knock/Delphi.htm

Peter

·
Super Moderator
30,044 Posts
No.

They all use a different chipset.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Is it possible to use Forscan with cheap bluetooth adapters?
Or may by f-super?
Yes, of course, Forscan works only with elm327 (bluetooth, usb or serial). To diagnose my car, i'm using cheap bluetooth elm327 from ebay with Forscan.

F-Super works only with Formidable (or Fordscan, but it's a 'renamed' version of Formidable).

However, it's noy very recommended to use bluetooth elm327 to recode injector.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Is it possible to use Forscan with cheap bluetooth adapters?
Or may by f-super?
Yes, of course, Forscan works only with elm327 (bluetooth, usb or serial). To diagnose my car, i'm using cheap bluetooth elm327 from ebay with Forscan.

F-Super works only with Formidable (or Fordscan, but it's a 'renamed' version of Formidable).

However, it's noy very recommended to use bluetooth elm327 to recode injector.
Thank you for info. I have both Bluetooth and f-super. But haven't got time to test it yet.
For recoding I would recommend most stable connection and that's by wire.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts