Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Gavin T
9,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This has probably been covered a thousand times before but i cannot be arsed looking through thousands of posts for it!! Basically how do you remove the front bumper? Has anyone got any sort of piccies to show where the mounting bolts are? (its a ZS if that makes any difference, which i doubt it does)

·
Premium Member
19,696 Posts
i think the little plastic pegs that are referred to in instruction 9 do the holding of the middle of the bumper.

·
Premium Member
19,696 Posts
here's a piccy of the peg refered to in instruction 9

theres 2 at least ( maybe 4 ) along the bumper so i suppose its enough to hold the bumper up in the middle

·
Premium Member
19,696 Posts
should be nice & easy really, might not even have to jack the car up depending on the tools your using.

no probs on the info :L ( its the only time i get my moneys worth from that bloody haynes manual as i aint used it for owt on my car as yet :} )

·
MEG Commander
3,573 Posts
You need to remove the undertray (various Torx screws), unscrew the wheel-arch liners at the front, then try to get to the three bolts (they are real mother hubbards), Oh, and you will have already removed the grille and headlights.

To make life easier, remove what you can of the air filter ducting, it gives much better access to the bolts.

Before you do this, what are you hoping to achieve?

It is a real mother hubbard of a job!

·
I'm Bang Tidy
9,548 Posts
Hello Mr Flash,merry xmas.
Oh don't forget to un clip the temp sender that
is located near the drivers side fog light,and
also unplug the fog lights from the loom.
Make sur you put some carpet or other protective
material on the floor to put the bumper or you'll
end up scrathing it. :L

·
MEG Commander
3,573 Posts
Merry Christmas Mick, all valid points - when I removed mine it was going to be repainted, so I wasn't too concerned about scratching it.

Oh, and certainly with mine, removing the fog lamp surrounds was a real mother hubbard - yes another one.

You also need to be careful when refitting the bumper that you get the fit right as you tighten it.

As an aside, I have a new set of the mounting brackets, which were certainly revised after my original ones, and are probably better than yours. If you want them, send me a PT and they are yours, posted, for what I paid for them. I can't recall how much they were, but I believe Mick got a set shortly after I got these, and he might be able to remind us of the price.

·
Gavin T
9,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cheers Flash and Mick, between you youve sort of put me off doing it now! :} :} :}

Im going to remove it to give greater access to the cold air feed pipe inside the wheel arch (Mick, mine doesnt have the resonator box either like the V6) so i could re route it for better pick up, and to see what could be done with the intercooler. Like, is it possible to move it down and forwards closer to the front lower grill, and how much room is there available to fit a bigger one?

And Flash, good to see you on here again mate. :L

·
MEG Commander
3,573 Posts
It isn't difficult as such, but certainly getting to the nuts on the washer bottle side is not easy.

I would suggest that if you do have a go, leave plenty of time, and have a trolly jack & axle stands available to lift up the front of the car.

And if you do have a go, fit the later brackets, they seem much better.

·
I'm Bang Tidy
9,548 Posts
[quote name=TDCi 160+]Cheers Flash and Mick, between you youve sort of put me off doing it now! :} :} :}

Im going to remove it to give greater access to the cold air feed pipe inside the wheel arch (Mick, mine doesnt have the resonator box either like the V6) so i could re route it for better pick up, and to see what could be done with the intercooler. Like, is it possible to move it down and forwards closer to the front lower grill, and how much room is there available to fit a bigger one?

And Flash, good to see you on here again mate. :L[/quote]

I haven't attempted mine yet Gav,but i would think that with all the plastic feed pipe
removed,from the right hand side behind the radiator you will have some room,i have got a 70mm bore feed pipe to install but i have got to figure out a way of fixing to the space behind the lower grille nearside,i think i am going to have to make some sort of holding plate out
of plastic,and fix that to the existing holes
which held the original pipe work,that would be
an idea cos' they are only held with those push in plastic plugs.
The brackets that Flash is on about he is right
i did fit new ones and they are better built,they
cost about £2 odd for one side and £4 odd for the
other side.
If after fitting your bumper back on you find that
you get bumper droop at the front part of the join
then let me know,i have a little mod that takes
care of it,and you don't need to re remove the bumper to do it,and it will cure bumper droop.

·
I'm Bang Tidy
9,548 Posts
No Gav,have'nt started the work yet,need to design
the holding plate for the end of the 70mm feed
pipe,what are your ideas on that front.

·
Gavin T
9,319 Posts
Not sure mate its difficult to cast an opinion without pics/diagrams. Sounds like you have it pretty much worked out though. Are you going to use the cold air feed pipe from a V6 or TDCi in place of the resonator box then, or have you got your own piping stuff? Im planning on removing the pipe outlined in red, and replacing it/re routing it in the area outlined in blue. (front bumper lower grill) If i can find some i would prefer to replace the whole pipe with some thing of a bigger diameter.
Pics very rubbish though sorry!

Attachments

·
I'm Bang Tidy
9,548 Posts
I have had the new pipe for a few weeks now.
I got it from SDS Ducting Supplies,they can supply
all manner of ducting.
From what i see you are trying to do just the same as i am,but you are re-jigging the design of the factory set up.
You might be better doing it my way,and removing the whole factory pipework and replacing it
with some suitable dia ducting,and planting on
the filter as close as possible.
I can do it just a bit differently due to my filter being an enclosed type with a suitable
attachment point for the ducting.
So the air will be sent straight from outside
and into the filter.
The other thing i would like to install in
the air feed is one of them leaf blower thingys
,crickey they don't half up the bhp.

·
Gavin T
9,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ive seen that somewhere on here with the leaf blowers. You might have one hell of a job on your hands trying to squeeze one of those under your arches! As for the ducting i might have a mooch about tomorrow and see if i can find some. Theres a few places i can try.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.