Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Working on the Choo-Choo trains
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bloody car!
I've had a clonking noise that appears, costs me money to get something done, goes... and then comes back again!
I've had almost everything changed at the front (last thing was drop links), but the last place I took it to (Fords in Lincoln) said they couldn't drop the subframe as the captive bolts were seized.
So what am I supposed to do about that - anyone got any ideas how they can be 'un-seized' or whatever? And how much it would cost?
Or has anyone had the same thing happen to them?
I'm seriously getting fed up of this car now - everything else is great, engine pulls great, smooth ride etc, but it's costing me a bomb! :sad:

·
I did the pics
12,043 Posts
Captive nuts are common for shearing unfortunately. You have to pull the carpet back in the front footwells, and you'll see a little grill. Cut through the grill with sidecutters and bend the grill back. The captive nut is in there. Put a set of mole grips on, and the bolt can be undone. Tighten up in similar way, and reweld the captive nut. Bend grill back, replace carpet and Robert's your father's brother :L

·
MEG Captain
5,225 Posts
This happened to me. Took the carpet up, cut a hole above the captive nut to get the grips on. When we tried undoing it the bloody bolt actually sheared. As I didn't know much about it at the time the bloke who did it for me put 2 locking nuts on a new bolt with loads of locktite. Didn't have a new captive nut at the time but the car has been fine since doing this. I have been thinking about getting a new nut welded on though.

I know what you mean about costing alot mate, getting really fed up with mine now. One problem after another! As much as I love the car I don't think I'll be getting another mondeo! :sad:

·
Working on the Choo-Choo trains
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sadly neither will I :sad:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.