Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Megger
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What ho one and all,

Have a 'thump' from the OSF when going over bumps, more pronounced when turning left.

Although it has passed the MOT with no problems, I thing(?) the issue may be a worn (ish) control (wishbone) bush so am thinking of replacing.

However, wasting time looking at Youtube vids, I now wonder if it could the front anti-roll bar bush, which has never been replace. Happy to replace, probably with poly, but is there any way to check if it is loose or worn?

Thanks and toodle pip

·
Super Moderator
30,019 Posts
long screwdriver/crowbar go over anything that moves or has a bush and see how much play you get.

I had a knock which turned out to be the top shock mounting not fitted with the arrows facing the right direction.

·
Megger
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don't think it is the top shock but what do I know?) as it is a recent thump. Looks like, once more under the car dear friends!

Would be a simpler fix than the control arms.

·
Megger
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have just surfaced from under the wheel arch to check movement on the OSF ARB bush. Can't say there is any obvious movement, but when using a lever, there is a bit. But that could just be because the bush is rubber and I am forcing the ARB against the bush.

So my question is, how much movement should there be in the ARB bush?

·
Resident Wrestling Legend
4,055 Posts
i attempted to change my arb bushes
for poly ones
i gave up after several days of struggling to undo nuts and bolts that won't come out without dropping the subframe/unclipping pipes/bending heat shields/etc
it's doable, but probably not as easy as the youtube videos make it look, you really do have to shorten the rear bolt that's way WAY too long to remove with the subframe in the way

·
Megger
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Managed to release the OS front bolt but think I will have to buy some hinged head ratchet spanners as Chas Coombes has for the back.

Didn't remove it, just ensured that it will undo.

But I am as normal, confused as to which bush I need. My car is first registered Nov 2003 but probably made before the CatCar listing of up to Aug 2003. So don't know if it is part number 1307891 (after Aug 03) or 1118695 (before Aug 03)

Did not look at the clip too carefully, but not aware of any 'lump' on the top, nor whether there is a flat on the ARB, but certainly the ARB appears round where it comes out of the bush. Basically, both these are listed as OK for my car but they are clearly different.

Confused? You bet.

Font Material property Screenshot Brand Personal protective equipment

Guess I will have to have another look for the lump.

Why would Ford have done this? Surely the same for front and rear would be more logical?

·
Megger
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
VIN nto Catcar shows:

Brown Beige Rectangle Font Electric blue

Don't want to remove it before buying; will get under again and check for the top 'lump.'

·
Super Moderator
30,019 Posts
Borderline dates as the registered date or the actual build date? Seems cars that are built near the changeover
dates can be dodgy when buying parts.

Years I was swapping an engine/gearbox on a Maestro, chassis number were really close so surprised that the
gearbox linkage was totally different.

·
Resident Wrestling Legend
4,055 Posts
you need the D shaped bush
measure the thickness of the arb too
mine was 21.4mm and the bush was supposed to be 19mm

·
Megger
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Am now planning to replace the front ARB bushes and considering poly. The CatCar listing suggests 1307891 which has the camel style hump.

But this web site (https://www.duraflexpubushes.com/ford-mondeo-mk3-anti-roll-bar-bush-384-p.asp) has the alternative, less expensive version and says, suitable for both front and rear. These are what I have on the rear. I think these are for the ST as i have seen them on hte Chas Coombes youtube.

Is there any reason they could (should?) not be used on the front when they are 'theoretically', not correct?

·
Megger
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I honestly don't recall what my rears have but they do have the edge flange sticking out, which the fronts don't have.

What I don't understand is the cost / benefit of mass production if there are two different types of ARB bush on a car. And/or, why there are so many different types for all Fords?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts