Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks :)

Whilst in a garage for a service, I asked them to add a DPF cleaner additive to my Mondeo after putting in the right amount of fuel in to get the right mix. I was unable to add it myself as I didn't have a pipe to get through to capless filler cap.

Surprisingly, they also were unable to add for the same reason so they poured half the bottle directly into the fuel filter and tell me this is fine since it will mix back into the tank.

This doesn't sound right to me as I'd expect the fuel to go straight into the engine once it has gone through the filter.

So... is anyone able to confirm to me that the garage is correct in what they say?

Many thanks in advance :)

·
dont listen to me, you'll have horsepower and
3,288 Posts
Filtered fuel goes straight to the engine as you say but some additives can be used to partly prime the filter giving it a more concentrated dose. It's it's running fine still I wouldn't worry as the the fuel that in the filter at the time would have now been used :)
The garage is partly correct as the injector leak off when engine is cold will go back to the tank but once warm it goes into the filter again

·
3,288 Posts
Sorry about the spelling mistake Ive only just finished work after starting at 9.30pm last night

·
Scientits
151 Posts
Getting the fuel additive into the engine and mixed directly as they did is probably a good idea to clean the system quickly. These diesels are pretty good at tolerating an most additives and they appear to run much cleaner and are more sharper in response with some in the tank. I never used to rate this sort of stuff in a petrol engine, but in a diesel the naphthalene (or kerosene based mixes) do appear to make a difference in helping the engine run smoother and more efficiently.

·
3,288 Posts
It's location I cannot answer but when I did it in my mk3 I used a syringe

·
I could do with a profile pic
1,855 Posts
There's no way in hell I'd be doing these. We don't know the lubrication properties or combustion temperatures of the additive so such a strong ratio and fuel:additive in the common rail, through the very fine clearance injectors and in to a Diesel engine with high compression ratios seems a bit risky to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts