Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Megger
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:sad: Hi Guys , Im new to the site and to Mondeos ...I've just bought a MK2 Zetec 1.8 , on V plate with 103000 miles on . History up 78k ..Now I know that i'll have to change the cambelt pretty soon , but have another prob' I'd like some advice on ..I've recently completed a full service all filters , plugs oil etc..before the service , I was getting approx 25-26 mpgaround the doors -not bad i think ...now however , its dropping to about 18mpg ! ...I'd have thought that if anything it would have improved ..The foam filter in the air cleaner housing ws blocked completely - new one fitted ...the fuel filter looked like the original - new one fitted ...air filter was filthy - new one fitted etc etc . I'cve used Comma 5/30 oil and NGK platinum plugs ...can anyone shed some light on this please? ...any advice would be appreciated. Cheers , baz

·
Megger
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for replies guys , Im just reading the 4 page posting on the trouble you've been having too ...so many things to consider here . I'll work through them systematically I think ...luckily , the guy at my local scrappy is good with me ...lets me have loads of bits n pieces for free ! ...is it recommended to clean the MAF ? , and if so , how do I go about this ? ...thanks for your help . :L

·
Big Megger
202 Posts
i tried cleaning mine with carb cleaner but it never made much difference. i read somewhere that you can gently clean it with an artists brush too. if your getting any funny idle problems or smelling of petrol unplug it and drive about and see what its like. if yours has got the bit on the dash where it tells you your mpg just try it anyway and see if the mpg changes at all cos another bloke did that and he was getting more mpg with it unplugged

·
Still waiting to Wii
2,710 Posts
I'd let it settle for a couple weeks, and let things relax, as the ECM compensates for the extra wear and then doing a full service it needs to re-compensate. Give it about 2 weeks and see what happens.

·
Megger
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys , I've been reading as many postings as I can about this...I understand that the ECU will need to be reprogrammed if I unplug the MAF ...how do I go about doing this ? ....Also , I had read somewhere that the car does need time to readjust itself following a service etc ...I thought that ths was usually only a few miles though - I've done over 100 since the oil/filters/plugs change .. ??? thanks

·
MEG Captain
4,819 Posts
and as you dont know when the cambelt was / has ever been changed then get it done asap , it will be a damned sight cheaper than bent valves etc :L

·
Megger
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah mate , I know ....thought Id get everything sorted out filter / oil wise before I tackled this ..the svcs history is up to 78k ...and it was a rep mobile so probably motorway miles ...it doesn;t say cambelt changed though - i'd have thought that this would have been done at this mileage ?? ...Incidentally , the pollen filter on the car looked like it had been down a mineshaft it was so filthy ! ...couldnt believe the difference to the heating system ....cheers

·
MEG Corporal
1,387 Posts
You could try an ECU re-set, you do it like this.

http://www.fordmondeo.org/workshop/pmwiki.php?n=Electrical.ECUReset

As I understood it, to clean the MAF, just squart it with carb cleaner, if you go poking it with a brush, you risk breaking the wires. As said, cam belt needs doing now, get a cam kit, and change the belt/rollers/tentioner. If it was doing more MPG before the service, I can't see why it is doing less now, the MAF and the Lambda were ok before, perhaps the ECU re-set will sort it.

·
Megger
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for that ...i'll try that tomorrow ...just a thougt re fuses 4 and 11 ..can anyone advise colour /ampage of these ...reason I ask is ...when changing fuel filter , went to remove fuse 14 as per Haynes ....there wasnt a fuse in no 14 ! ...now the f pump is obviously working ,so has someone moved this / changed position etc ??

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
hi, i beleave its the top right, looks browny red and is big, (engine bay beside the batt on the right) i think that is the only fuse for the ecu, i cant work out fusee 11 as thats for the air con, hope this helps steve...

·
MEG Corporal
1,387 Posts
On mine, Number 4 is YELLOW/20amp, and Number 11 is PURPLE/3amp.

·
Megger
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
:surprised: Hey guys , thanks for the advice . I've just been out totry and re set the ECU ...However , when I've opened the fusebox , it appears to be different to that in the manual , and as you've said above ...there is no fuse in position no 4 , and fuse 11 is a 20 amp ..i've taken a pic of the inside of the fusebox lid ...can anyone shed soe light on this ? ..My Haynes manual which is the updated version covering up X reg says that fuse no4 is for daytime running lights/ amd or ignition - not needed in UK so left blank I presume ? ...fuse 11 is ECU ...Am i ok in just unplugging fuse 11 and following the re set steps .....can smeone tell me how to attach the pic please - Im not too hot with pc's !!Thanks ?

·
Megger
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
:blush: oh i see ! ...will look at gol memebership then , in meantime will try the link you've given me...whats also confusing is the fact that the fusebox cover and fuse box have fuses numbered from 1 -18 ...then from 39-52...( thse range from 20A right up to 60A ) ...I cant find a menton of these in either the Ford or Haynes manual ??...do you think it could be from a newer model ? ...it certainly looks as though its been in place a while though...many thanks :L
i

·
MEG Corporal
801 Posts
the x reg which i have too, is the latest mod of mk2, and haynes is missing a lot of he features.
i had to deal a few times with the fuses but some of them are not a much to the manual.
so relax there is nothing wrong with you. :L
when i had to replace this and that i disconnected the battery completly and it did the trick.
watch out for radio codes and stuff like that, and ofcourse you'll lose the preset stations. :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.