Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

Registered
Mk4.5 2011 2.0 TDCI Titanium X Estate, business edition.
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi...as I continue to work my way around my wonderful lovely 2011 Facelifted 2.0tdci (with shiny chrome roof bars :cool:) I now find myself considering a fuel filter change...

Despite getting the car off a very nice man...and there being a decent service history, there are some things which look like they weren't in fact attended too. Considering 4 of the 6 airbox screws literally disintegrated before my eyes as I went to change the air filter....I don't believe for one part of a second that that had been changed recently!! Likewise the state of the cabin filter.

So...whatever the paperwork says, I'm happy to have a go at the fuel filter...

Is this 'easy'? Anything to be aware of? Do I need to worry about air bubbles or anything? Or just make sure the initial engine restart works any air through then all should be ok?

Thoughts and opinion all welcome!

As ever your patience is matched entirely by my appreciation.

Registered
Is your fuel filter under the bonnet, to the left hand side? Thats where it is on my 2.2 & it was essential to bleed the air from the system when replacing the filter. If you don鈥檛 then it will run for a few seconds and stall as it uses the fuel in the rail - but then stall! A flat battery will likely follow due to excessive, pointless cranking. I bled the air using the best practice from several videos on YouTube & it started first time. If it鈥檚 the same setup as the 2.2, then the pipe to not connect during the bleed process is the left hand one nearest the rear of the car. The bleeding is done by sucking air & then fuel, out via the empty connector on the filter until it runs bubble free. Then disconnect the pump you are using and reconnect the remaining connector. That connector is the return to the tank. Good luck & let us know how you get on. Cheers

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for such a swift reply st_tdci.

No...no fuel pump under the bonnet. I have the 2.0tdci. I think my pump is forward of the fuel tank, underneath the rear - see photo...

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry ...it's "whiskey Wednesday"...I do of course mean FILTER....

I have since been youtubing a lot... I believe I need to change the filter - easyish. Then prime the system from the flow return pipe (the narrower/green clip in attachment)...I have ordered a vacuum pump (and filter) already :D

Attachments

Registered
Blue Sleeve Font Gas Electric blue

There are different ways of doing it. This is how I do it:

Remove the 10mm fuel filter inlet quick release connector and insert blanking plug into the 10mm female connector (2).

Remove the 12mm fuel filter outlet quick release connector and insert blanking plug into the 12mm female connector.
(1)

Drain 500ml of diesel from filter housing using the drain plug (18mm spanner).

Replace the filter element.

Reconnect the 10mm female fuel tank outlet to the filter housing inlet spigot.

Draw fuel from the 12mm male outlet on the filter housing with a hand operated vacuum pump (mityvac etc) via a waste bottle until fuel begins to flow into the waste bottle.

Reconnect the 12mm quick connector.

Youtube videos show other methods. Most of them spill a lot of diesel and pull fuel from one end of the car to the other, when you can more easily just prime the filter. Having said that you do need blanking plugs. I made mine from acetal in a lathe but you can buy male quick connect fittings (10 and 12 mm required) and plug them with epoxy etc.

Registered
AbingDan -

There is no lift pump in the tank. just the high pressuse pump. The pump is lubricated by diesel fuel. Best not to use it to purge the fuel supply line of air. The starter motor will not like it either.

The drain plug on the filter housing is lower than the fuel tank bottom. That makes a syphon. To avoid it, disconnect and plug the feed tube.

If the supply line is also plugged, the engine should start straight away and not stall afterwards.

Waste fuel can be returned to the tank using the supplied funnel in the boot. That should be .5 litre, which is the amount held in the filter.

MEG Corporal

Registered
AbingDan -

There is no lift pump in the tank. just the high pressuse pump. The pump is lubricated by diesel fuel. Best not to use it to purge the fuel supply line of air. The starter motor will not like it either.
I always found it odd that the 2.0 didn't have the pump in the tank. On the 2.2, priming the fuel system is easy as you can just start the fuel pump to fill up the filter.

Easiest is to fill the filter as much as possible beforehand and it'll make the whole process a lot easier on the 2.0

Registered
I always found it odd that the 2.0 didn't have the pump in the tank. On the 2.2, priming the fuel system is easy as you can just start the fuel pump to fill up the filter.

Easiest is to fill the filter as much as possible beforehand and it'll make the whole process a lot easier on the 2.0
So how would you start the fuel pump To do this? The Pela vacuum pump I have did the job dead easy, but I did mean disconnecting pipes, I鈥檓 assuming just running the fuel pump essentially does the same thing?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you all for your help and advice...as ever it shows how great this forum can be!

Frembit - I saw Alan H's video as well; but alas that is not the set-up I have...

Speedlimit; where do you get those diagrams from, they are brilliant!

I think I am likely to go with speedlimit's process, or a version of - like this :
as I don't really have good access under the car...I have a better vacuum pump than the one in this video though!

But please say if you foresee any issues!!

Registered
So how would you start the fuel pump To do this? The Pela vacuum pump I have did the job dead easy, but I did mean disconnecting pipes, I鈥檓 assuming just running the fuel pump essentially does the same thing?
The fuel pump starts on mine when the ignition is turned on. You can use bi-dir controls too.

Registered
AbingDan said 'But please say if you foresee any issues!!'

Placing safety stands under the rear may be an issue.

Here's a discussion for the front end:

I don't use stands. I use specially adapted trolly jacks with integral safety props,
so I don't know much about using stands.

There are a few inventions along those lines, eg:

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
what a bloomin fantastic idea! Thanks speedlimit!

Registered
Looks lethal! Needs at a minimum a brace underneath to stop it splaying under load. I definitely wouldn't put my faith in those welds or pins in that configuration.

Bi-dir = bidirectional controls

Registered
Looks lethal! Needs at a minimum a brace underneath to stop it splaying under load. I definitely wouldn't put my faith in those welds or pins in that configuration.

Bi-dir = bidirectional controls
Thanks, but I think you need to explain a bit further please. I鈥檝e never heard of this so a little way for me to go to understand how this 鈥渋dea鈥 can run-the fuel pump without cranking the engine. Thanks

Registered
AbingDan -

Where do you intend to place or have already placed jack stands to support the rear end?
I ask from curiosity because it's not obvious to me where they could be put.
Maybe someone else could say where they place safety stands at the rear?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It's all a learning curve speedlimit; but of course one I need to get right on order to be safe.

I really like those Jack stands you linked to earlier but the cost is prohibitive, even more so with the amount of work I will actually do on the car (he says, fingers crossed)!

While looking into the Jack stands I came across the rubber covers for axle stands, that allow you to use stands at the jacking point.

So, my current thoughts are for a pair of those.... Of course then I need to work out where to place the Jack to actually lift!!

Please...any advice or suggestions welcome!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
@Speedlimit what other Jack stands do you use? You suggested similar ones to the video you posted but I can't seem to find any?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts