Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Little Megger
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hope this is in the correct area, thinking it might be an electrical problem. I have had a problem twice now in the last couple of weeks, I have had a problem with the fuel gauge in my Mk4 Titanium X '08, first time I noticed that when I started up the fuel gauge didn't move (panic!), strange I thought as I knew I had about 1/4 tank of petrol. When I got home I turned off, gave it a minute and then started up again and the fuel gauge worked fine. Then yesterday as I was driving home from work the gauge slowly went down from about 1/4 of a tank to empty, I thought I'd get home and turn off and back on again and all would be fine but no. I left it for this morning and still not working, no movement at all?

Any ideas guys? Your help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

·
Little Megger
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Spare Wheel, is the sender under the rear seat?, is it easy to get to and check/change?

Riikomi, yes I did and the 'Distance until empty' fell to 0.

·
Registered
734 Posts
You should first verify that it is the sender unit which is faulty. I'd say that if refilling the tank brings the gauge back to life, then it must the sender which is toast.

By the way, the parts link I sent refers to diesel Mondeos - the part# for a gas car might be different.

·
Super Moderator
19,005 Posts
I've not got a mk4 so not seen under the rear seat bench, but on mk1, 2, and 3 mondeos there was an access grommet so you could access the pump and sender without dropping the tank.

However, on the mk1 and 2 the hole was tight, but you could just get the pump and sender assembly in and out, on the mk3's things got worse, as the hole wasn't big enough to pass the pump and sender through. You could, however get at the connections, both for fuel, and electrics. Might be worth a look, you might just need to wiggle the plug a bit.

·
Little Megger
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi riikomi

I put another 20litres on top of what was in there and the gauge didn't move, the gauge sweep works during diagnostic so I'm guessing its the sender, do you know if this is easily accessible or is it going to have to go to a garage?

·
Super Moderator
19,005 Posts
Hi riikomi

I put another 20litres on top of what was in there and the gauge didn't move, the gauge sweep works during diagnostic so I'm guessing its the sender, do you know if this is easily accessible or is it going to have to go to a garage?
did you look under the rear seat bench?

·
Registered
734 Posts
To my understanding, which is only based on viewing Ford Etis documents, the tank needs to be removed. And prior to doing that, fuel pressure inside the system must be relieved.

·
Little Megger
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
...an update, on the way home from work last night the gauge suddenly started working again! a loose connection I guess, are mk4's known for bad electrics? my mk3 was fine, didn't have a days problem with that.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Hi riikomi

Slightly old school and I am not 100% sure if this will work on modern cars - but years ago (1980's) to prove if it was a faulty sender unit, you could remove the wire from the sender and short down to earth by touching it against bare metal. This would make the gauge go directly to full. This would prove that the electrical circuit and gauge are all OK and it has to be your sender.

Before you do this it would be nice if someone who knows a bit more about the newer cars can confirm as I would hate you to damage your electtrics - but I reckon this would be a surefire way to prove it is the sender and nothing else!

·
Registered
442 Posts
Hello there I had the same problem with fuel all over the place and as the car was/is under warranty they replaced the fuel sender which fixed the problem. Only thing is its a tank out job to do it. My car is a 09 TXS 2.2TDCI.

RYAN

1 - 17 of 17 Posts