Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Megger
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

Had a wierd occurrence today. I was low on fuel (about 30 miles left, according to the trip computer), so I filled up. Because the car had people in it, I didn't take the key out of the ignition as I normally do.

I filled the tank with diesel, paid, got back in, but the fuel light was still on, despite the fact the fuel guage was showing full.

The "Range" section of the trip computer showed 30 miles still. Every time I get in the car, it now warns me I've got no fuel left.

Which fuse do I have to pull to hard-reset the whole dashboard? I didn't want to pull the main power, because that would mean re-programming the radio, and I don't know where my code is.

I've checked the diagnostic mode, and there are no errors showing.

Thanks.

Pete.

·
MEG Corporal
592 Posts
Hi,

It can take a few miles for it to register the fill up, then it changes.
Happens on my TDCI but after about 2-3 miles it changes.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Sounds to me like he has driven a few miles as this is still on going as he says every time he starts the car.

My advice would be to keep driving until you are low on fuel again. And then fill up by taking the key out of the ignition. I always do, my passengers can sit in silence lol.

Or they can just press the power button on the stereo as it will work without the key in the ignition.

My guess is that it will reset itself once you run out of fuel and fill up again properly.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
ConcreteMonkey said:
My advice would be to keep driving until you are low on fuel again. And then fill up by taking the key out of the ignition. I always do, my passengers can sit in silence lol.
Never had any probs filling up with the key left on accessories or taking it out.....

Chris

·
Big Megger
203 Posts
I had something similar today so might know what the problem is. I filled up and as I flicked the ignition on pushed the button to reset the trip counter.

Exactly as I did that the fuel gauge stopped rising and sat at 1/4 full despite me just sticking 50-odd litres into the thing.

It did go up to 1/2 full over the next 15 mins of driving so it did seem to be trying to sort itself out. I will see what it does tomorrow and will see if I can do it again next time I fill up.

Cheers,
J.

·
Megger
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, after having started/stopped half a dozen times that day, with delays from seconds to hours, the next morning it was fine.

Probably needed time to let something discharge & reset the controls.

Thanks for the comments,

Pete.

·
Man in a Jag
15,051 Posts
Glad all is back to normal :L

·
Premium Member
19,696 Posts
my fuel gauge does that every now & then.

stick some fuel in when the light comes on & on starting the car again the light still comes on & no matter how many time i start/stop the car it stays like that until the needle drops abit & then the light remembers that it should be off.

·
MEG Corporal
1,048 Posts
I remember reading some kind of bulliten at work that said the fuel gauge wont register large drops or increases of fuel incase it's the car driving on a really steep hill.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
derv said:
I remember reading some kind of bulliten at work that said the fuel gauge wont register large drops or increases of fuel incase it's the car driving on a really steep hill.
Is the car really that clever? I assumed that the signal from the fuel tank sensor would just be a float that went up and down? If it won't register a big change like filling the tank up, then we'd see this problem all the time :D

Chris

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.