Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning peeps,,
Due to my last MOT mentioning fuel line,; I’m going to be changing at some point so my question is,, my car has 178k on it and although it’s still running ok many people have said “crikey your car still running? Fuel pumps on them usually start falling apart around that mileage and kill the injectors”,, so would be a good idea to change it or just don’t touch what isn’t broken hahaha.
how much would a pump be ??
Would it be a simple disconnect unbolt old and drop in new??
is there a specific type for a 2.2 TDCi ST??
Thanks peeps

·
Super Moderator
29,796 Posts
Plenty of cars have exceeded 200,000 miles without the pumps failing.

The people that are telling you its worthless and about to explode are why I buy high mileage cars
for pennies. A decent oil change interval and there is no reason why your car wont do another
100k miles.

My MK3 2L had 174k or 178k on it when my sister had it and she put another 60k on it in just 2 years.
Probably one oil change if it was lucky.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Plenty of cars have exceeded 200,000 miles without the pumps failing.

The people that are telling you its worthless and about to explode are why I buy high mileage cars
for pennies. A decent oil change interval and there is no reason why your car wont do another
100k miles.

My MK3 2L had 174k or 178k on it when my sister had it and she put another 60k on it in just 2 years.
Probably one oil change if it was lucky.
Cheers purple,,
Need to do the fuel lines so I’ll be keeping it a little longer,, but yeah mine does get regular services,, it’s had coolant done, gearbox oil 3 times, power steering fluid and brake fluid changed,, plus at least 2 oil changes every year,,

·
I Love Diesel
2,216 Posts
Back in 2016 I had a new high pressure pump fitted as part of a much bigger job and the pump was £400 + VAT. I'm pretty sure this was new and not reconditioned, as the garage said they wouldn't use a reconditioned pump. Search for part number 9044A090A.

·
Megger
2,364 Posts
I gather that some versions of the Mk3 TDCI had less than highest quality fuel pumps fitted. Don't know if mine was one of them but I had to replace the HP pump at around 120k following limp mode, various tests and experts telling me the injectors needed replacing and Frauds giving me a bum steer.

So I became an expert! Bit the bullet and changed the pump myself, along with recon injectors. Don't recall the price but it has been worth it.

The fuel pump has contact surfaces that wear as it rotates. These contact surfaces are case hardened for endurance, but with the 'faulty' versions of the pumps, the case hardening wears and then the contact surface is the softer metal below. This eroded material distributes a black (talc like) metallic dust through the entire fuel system; the filter will pick up that coming from the tank but the pump is still giving the injectors metallic dust infused fuel that will finally block the injectors. The leak-off system sends unwanted 'dirty' fuel back to the tank.

Change the fuel filter and pour the contents into a plastic cup. Drag a magnet around the bottom and any metallic particles will be attracted. If there are particles, then the pump needs changing; if not, then probably you are good to go.

Is it worth changing? Your call, but I like my Mk3 and would probably do it again.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I gather that some versions of the Mk3 TDCI had less than highest quality fuel pumps fitted. Don't know if mine was one of them but I had to replace the HP pump at around 120k following limp mode, various tests and experts telling me the injectors needed replacing and Frauds giving me a bum steer.

So I became an expert! Bit the bullet and changed the pump myself, along with recon injectors. Don't recall the price but it has been worth it.

The fuel pump has contact surfaces that wear as it rotates. These contact surfaces are case hardened for endurance, but with the 'faulty' versions of the pumps, the case hardening wears and then the contact surface is the softer metal below. This eroded material distributes a black (talc like) metallic dust through the entire fuel system; the filter will pick up that coming from the tank but the pump is still giving the injectors metallic dust infused fuel that will finally block the injectors. The leak-off system sends unwanted 'dirty' fuel back to the tank.

Change the fuel filter and pour the contents into a plastic cup. Drag a magnet around the bottom and any metallic particles will be attracted. If there are particles, then the pump needs changing; if not, then probably you are good to go.

Is it worth changing? Your call, but I like my Mk3 and would probably do it again.
Jezzzzzz but a good shout on changing filter guess I’ll do that and hope and pray 🤣. Personally if it was going to cost more than it’s worth I’d have to let it go and spend money another car,, shame as I really like the looks of it just not to keen on the driving of it 🤣,, but it’s been a lovely bus in all fairness

1 - 7 of 7 Posts