Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought used Genuine Ford Mondeo Mk4 Roof Bars

Musical instrument Wood Flooring Triangle Artifact

The roof bars came with no instructions and was wondering if anyone has some that he can take a picture of and share with me as I'm struggling to fit them.

My ford estate has no roof rails, the roof is flash. However, when I open the doors four little threaded holes become visible where I suppose the roof rack needs to be fitted somehow.

Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Car Vehicle

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
29,810 Posts
If you have the right bars the holes in the car will match holes in the bars.

If not they may not be for your car or for cars with rails fitted.

·
SMeghead
1,122 Posts
The bent metal parts at the bottom should have little pegs to fit in the holes. At least, that's how my Exodus ones work. I suppose the Ford ones might be bolted. But even fitting the pegged ones is a real faff.

The feet are different for the front and back bars. If someone has mixed the feet (one front, one back) on each bar you will never get them to fit. They also fit only one way front to back, as they are slightly angled.

Mine have a hidden mechanism to adjust/tighten the clamping action, using an allen key. If the key is missing and the adjustment is fully taken up to stop it rattling in storage you will not be able to fit the feet.

To fit mine, I slacken off the foot adjustment as much as possible and the place the bar roughly correctly. After a few fits, I realised it was best to leave the feet clamped to the bars in the right place. This made it easier. Jiggle one foot into roughly the right place (pegged into the hole) and then close the door to hold it loosely in place. Go to the other side and adjust the grip in the bar and the foot until it fits in place and lightly tighten it. Then swap from side to side, gradually bring it up to full security. If you have to adjust the position on the bar as well, this will take some time. It's worth doing it properly, though.

To take off, only slacken the foot clamp, leaving it clamped to the bar.

·
Super Moderator
29,810 Posts
Are those numbered whilst sitting in the car or standing in front of the car?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.