Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Currently I am doing up a Mk2 P reg Si Mondeo hatch which I bought a while ago. Problem is the locks are all different (it had 2 keys, both different, one red one and an infrared remote key which is broken). All the locks are different, the only locks which the key seem to operate are the drivers door and the ignition!
Anyway, with this in mind I bought a second hand lock set from a dismantlers, which contained all the locks, the PATS receiver that goes round the ignition lock and one black key with a chip in it. Now if I'm understanding correctly, I can't just go out and buy an infrared remote key and progamme it to the car as I need the red key? Also I think the set is off of a later MK2 which was almost certainly the radio key type so the PATS probably wouldn't work anyway?
So, today I called in to the place where I got the lock set and I'm getting them to get a set off of a MK1 Mondeo which has the infrared eyes (same as mine) in the handles. Hopefully it will have the red key and a remote key. If it hasn't, can I programme an infrared remote key from the black key or do I need the red key as before?

Also, just one more question! I currently have an R Reg ST24 (which I'm replacing with the 2.0Si I mention above, the ST's a bit heavy on fuel for me really!) It has the original red master key and also a black key with a chip. Can I just buy a radio remote from somewhere like eBay and progamme it to the car (after having it cut of course!) or does it only programme the chip if it is new and blank?

Many thanks,
Tony :)

·
MEG Corporal
1,387 Posts
Hi PATS1, you need a RED key and any programed key, to code keys to start the car,(New or Old).
You only need one key to code the remote lock/unlock.
The 2 button remotes are infa red, the 3 buttons are radio frequency.Having said that, the earlie radio frequency remotes were 2 button. If you have the little windows on the door handles, I dont think the 3 button radio frequency remotes will work. Have a look at the links, to see what you have, and what you can do.

http://www.mirez.co.uk/KeyProg.htm
http://www.mirez.co.uk/Keys.htm

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok thanks for that. So according to that then my ST24 must have PATS1 as well as my P reg Mk2 Si. If i'm right then, I can buy a radio remote key for the ST24 and programme it as I have the red key. But I still need to get a lockset for the Si which has the red key to programme any extra keys otherwise i'll have to take it to Fords?
Cheers :)

·
MEG Corporal
1,387 Posts
Or some locksmiths will do it now.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.