Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
Mondy MK3 130HP Turbo Diesel
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

Firstly no, I don't have the code reader thingy because we're about to leave France permanently and go back to Australia in about 6.5 weeks.

We are planning on selling the Mondy (details in my signature below).

Okay, so the other week the car lost a fair bit of power at about 2500rpm but still managed to get her up to 110kph (about 70mph). The glow plug light started flashing.

My first thought was, "Oh god, here we go again!" The last time it was the EGR valve clogged with gunk, so I assumed it was the same problem. She was also a bit noisy, like she'd run low on oil or something.

Slightly different this time, though, because when I'm idling and sitting at the lights, the smell from the exhaust is terrible! cough splutter

Got some Bardahl EGR cleaner and popped it in with the last 1/3 - 1/2 of the tank of fuel. Have been running for about 150-200km now, mostly on longer runs and keeping her between 2500-3000rpm (as recommended). I checked oil and water - all fine, although the oil was a little black (about 1000km overdue for a change).

Got a new fuel filter as she needed a service anyway, took her to my mate the backyard mechanic, and he did the service and cleaned the EGR valve (which he did last time) but he reported that it wasn't very clogged at all. He also cleaned out the air filter system because it was particularly gunky. Changed the fuel filter, oil and filter, air filter etc.

I said goodbye to him and drove off, and then the light came back on again. Far out. I didn't go back to him as I was fkn exhausted after a long day and just wanted to get home, so instead I tested her out on the highway to see what was going on.

Not nearly as bad, which is good to report. Not noisy like she was... but still that problem at 2500rpm where the turbo doesn't seem to kick in like it should. And still that smell from the exhaust when she's idling.

So, before I get him to do even more work, what are your thoughts? Injectors? A split in the hose between the intercooler and the EGR? A dodgy actuator?

I'm at a loss.

Also, what are the symptoms of a fkd catalytic converter? I was wondering if it could be that.

I just don't want to pour much more money into her as I'm leaving shortly, but I also don't want to sell her in not-so-good condition. She's been the best Ford I've ever owned and I love her to pieces, so I want her to be healthy and happy for her new owner.

Cheers luvs.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
UPDATE: Now when she first starts up, there is a huge amount of smelly white smoke and she shudders and misbehaves, but once a little warmer, it stops (although the smell is always present when idling).

Fuel injectors?

·
dont listen to me, you'll have horsepower and
3,518 Posts
Catalytic converter won't give any running issues unless it's blocked. I'd hazard a guess at a misbehaving injector

·
Registered
9 Posts
Where are you in France?,
I'm in Nice, France (Temporarily) ... and I do have an OBD cable I bought recently.

You can PM me ... I'd be glad to help out

My Mundo used to do the same thing before, but after changing the fuel filter and putting in the correct injector codes, it stopped smoking Marlboros'

P.S ... Can I have your Turbo xD ?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Where are you in France?,
I'm in Nice, France (Temporarily) ... and I do have an OBD cable I bought recently.

You can PM me ... I'd be glad to help out

My Mundo used to do the same thing before, but after changing the fuel filter and putting in the correct injector codes, it stopped smoking Marlboros'

P.S ... Can I have your Turbo xD ?
Hi luv,

I'm down in Perpignan! Well, she'll be for sale soon for not very much, so might be worth buying for the turbo :)

How do injector codes suddenly go out?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What sort of smell, though? Sweet smell could be coolant. Rotten eggs is probably catalytic converter.
Hmmm... it's neither. It smells like it's not really good for anyone to be inhaling this toxic stuff, if that makes sense.

(Thanks for answering.)

Catalytic converter won't give any running issues unless it's blocked. I'd hazard a guess at a misbehaving injector
That's what I'm thinking more and more now.

Does injector cleaner stuff work in the fuel, or is it just bollocks?

(Thanks for responding.)

·
Little Megger
4,827 Posts
Unless you've recently driven through flood water, which has resulted in engine damage, then I'd say you've got an overfuelling injector (or 2)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Unless you've recently driven through flood water, which has resulted in engine damage, then I'd say you've got an overfuelling injector (or 2)
No, no flood waters here (we're in drought). Hmmm, that's an interesting observation! Thank you!

So... the question is, how the fk do you fix it?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I bought this stuff yesterday. €70 (£62).

Reviews suggest it's pretty awesome.

If it doesn't work, I'll get the injectors taken out and cleaned then recalibrated. If that doesn't work... I think I'll have to sell her as is. :(

Liquid Bottle Fluid Drink Font

I will let you know how it works. I have already noticed a decent difference, but starting her up from cold this morning will be the first test.

I'm wondering if it was dodgy fuel from Spain.

·
Little Megger
4,827 Posts
Good luck let us know how you get on!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good luck let us know how you get on!
Will do. She smoked and shuddered this morning as usual but as soon as she's warm, the smoke and juddering disappear. The smell lingers. She is a little better each day but when I put my foot down, the turbo doesn't seem to kick in nearly as well.

·
Little Megger
4,827 Posts
Well, you've got to start somewhere, so if you've the kit, start with a leakoff test, that's a basic injector check, but by no means conclusive as to the health of them.

Reactions: grooviechickie

·
I Love Diesel
2,607 Posts
I'm sure you realise this, but if you're selling a 2001 Mondeo, you really need to consider if it's worth spending a shed load of money fixing it, because you won't get your money back.

Sorry, you did say that in your first post, but if you start replacing injectors it will be big bucks. What's the mileage on the car again?

·
Little Megger
4,827 Posts
I'm not certain if this is good advice or not, but if its just one dodgy injector that's causing all that grief, then by disconnecting each one in turn (the electrical connector) and revving it and observe any smoke, - obviously on 3 cylinders its going to struggle a bit, but won't smoke if all rest of injectors are good. That's something you can do yourself at home.

Reactions: grooviechickie

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Okay, well eff me sideways... it's bloody well electrical! I'll be getting onto that tomorrow morning.

My partner's nephew came over with a code reader, bless him.

P1631

I found the information here on this very forum:

"This code (P1631) refers to the power hold relay for the engine management system. If there is a permanent concern with this relay then the engine would normally cut out or fail to start. Nine times out of ten the code is set in error normally due to the ignition been cycled a couple of time in quick succession. The relay is located in the fuse box next to the battery and is numbered K163 in the diagram.

The relay is triggered by the engine management, pins 5 and 2 are 12 volt feeds, pin 1 is the switched wire operated by the engine management to energize the relay and pin 3 is the 12 volt feed to various engine management components when the relay is energized, these components include the EGR actuator, the vehicle speed sensor if equipped and the variable vane turbo actuator."

Product Rectangle Schematic Font Slope

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm sure you realise this, but if you're selling a 2001 Mondeo, you really need to consider if it's worth spending a shed load of money fixing it, because you won't get your money back.

Sorry, you did say that in your first post, but if you start replacing injectors it will be big bucks. What's the mileage on the car again?
Yes, that's why we were getting to the point of wondering if she was worth fixing. But now that it's an electrical problem of some kind, we can fix that quite cheaply.

She's got 345,000km on the clock.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Also on the list below, it says: P1631 Theft Deterrent - Password Incorrect

Okay, that's an interesting one. The one I read (in French) on the screen said it was a relay problem.

·
Little Megger
4,827 Posts
Well, if the codes have never been read and cleared before then that code could be years old as there's no date stamps on them. You need to clear the codes and then run the engine and then read them again. Also, a generic code reader doesn't read Ford specific codes as has been seem time and again on this site.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well, if the codes have never been read and cleared before then that code could be years old as there's no date stamps on them. You need to clear the codes and then run the engine and then read them again. Also, a generic code reader doesn't read Ford specific codes as has been seem time and again on this site.
He cleared all the codes and started again (used to be a diesel mechanic, now he owns a spare parts shop). He drove a fair distance to help us out. So I'm crossing fingers, toes, labia now.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts