Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Serial Searcher - Rare Poster
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,
Got a litle problem I hope you can help me with.
This morning when I tried to start my motor, the glow plug light went out but continued to flash. I turned the key anyway and the starter motor cranked without a problem, but the engine failed to start. It implied an ignition problem.

I called a local garage who advised cranking with the clutch down and no gas until it did start. This did actually work! When it did start though it was rough as nails. It was also spurting out loads of white/grey smoke, but this soon stopped.

After a few miles it did smooth out, but I now have a significant decrease in power and no audible or physical proof of the turbo spinning up. The glow plug light continues to flash although it now starts fine.

Any clues as to where to start looking would be greatly appreciated!
Cheers
Steve

·
Big Megger
263 Posts
The glow plug light flashing means you are in limp mode which is why you have no power. Needs to go to the garage I'm afraid.

·
TDDI Buff
37,060 Posts
try disconnecting the battery for 30 mins and putting it back on then drive varied driving for a few miles if that dosent sort it you will probably need to take it to a garage as said above.

·
Serial Searcher - Rare Poster
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, thanks guys, not quite what I wanted to hear though! I've gotta get back from Hastings to Luton later so that'll be fun on the M25 & M1!
Cheers
Steve

·
Registered
72 Posts
The glow plug light flashing does not necessarily mean that you are in limp home mode, but it does mean that the monitoring system has detected something wrong with the fuel injection system or loads of other stuff, more than likley minor but very very outside chance that it may be major, if the light goes out it was a momentary glitch, if it continues to flash the problem may still exist, or it may not, it may leave an error code, or it may not. I had exactly the same problem over a year ago, flashing glow plug light and not starting, turn key off and try again all ok. Did nothing about it because when the car was running it was fine. And I drove thousands of miles like that.

If it ever does go into limp home mode you will know about it because you will lose loads of umph, acceleration will be virtually none existant and it will sound funny. I only drove my 130 TDCi for 60 miles like than, you just have to be very careful, think ahead, and don't panic................

Get ford to look at it sooooooner rather than later.

Sorry to sound a bit negative but I have been studying this trend for twelve months now and there is no short, or definite answer.

Good luck.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Flashing glow plug light is a generic fault warning, it could mean anything of a 100 things

The only way to reset this, unless it clears when you turn the ignition off for a few minutes, is to have Ford's fixed the error and reset the ECU on their diag machines.

Dan,

1 - 6 of 6 Posts