Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Filled up this morning, reset the computer, got on the M4 and put on the cruise control at 70mph.

after a few miles it settled around 63mpg

I know this would change with traffic, but thought if people wanted to check their cars, they could do the same.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
It may be a bit misleading as you've only done 8 miles and so unless you maintain this speed for the duration of the tank, it's going to fluctuate wildly for the first 100 odd miles :D Would be interesting to see how it changes the more miles you do :D

Interestingly, I've noticed that if you get the figure nice and high initially, the computer average for the whole tank tends to be high (although the pump figure doesn't usually agree with that).

Chris

·
Registered
40 Posts
the trip computer isn't always right....went this summer for ablout 3000 km trip...and reset it.....the average speed was 90 km/h and the fuel consumption on my '01 tddi 115 hp was 6.3-6.4 l/100km (although pump calculation was 5.7)...and as soon as reached home...went into some heavy traffic it went from 6.4 to 7 in a matter of 20 km....that is impossible after 3000 km. so my guess is that the on-board computer is more likely to be orientative than accurate.

·
Man in a Jag
15,051 Posts
Had this myself, but over the tank it does lower. Try resetting it as you are actually doing 70 and see what it averages out at. Interesting to do this with the average speed too because if you set the cruise to 70, reset the average speed it will probably show at about 64/65 (as the indicated speed is usually out, but the speed it does via the diagnostics/average speed is closer to GPS speed).

·
MEG Corporal
726 Posts
I did the same this morning and noticed that I was at 61.3 by the time I was cruising down the M4. 200 mles later (and some thrashing) it's down to 58 MPG but thats still crap as the MPG meter is so out on mine.
Last tank indicated 58mpg but actually returned 48 MPG.

Still thats not bad though.

·
Back in a Mondeo
5,462 Posts
Quick question, does driving with the cruise control switched on use more or less fuel if you were to drive at the same speed with it switched off?

·
MEG Corporal
1,048 Posts
Well when you hit a incline with the cruise control on the car will hit full throttle and do all it can to keep the same speed where perhaps you could slightly ease off for a little bit then gently bring it back up to your desired speed.

....I think

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
It depends on your normal driving style. I know drivers with lead boots who get better economy by using cruise, but I've always found that cruise gives me worse economy! It's one of those things that you need to try :D

Chris

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.