Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Megger
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at permanently installing my GPS mouse in the car and I think I'm either going to put it under the bit of plastic under the windscreen or in the drivers side mirror.

I want to rig it up with a power switch where the traction control button should be (I assume in the ST220) so that I can turn it on and off - I reckon I can take a power feed off the stereo (or is there a better place to get 12v from) then run the cabling out to the mouse location. Is there much space inside a mondeo MK3 mirror housing? I need a space of about 2cmWx4cmLx1cmH. Can anyone advise how to get the cover off the mirror - does it just pop off? And is there much space to run a 3mm cable through the relevant grommits into these spaces?

I need to get myself a Haynes manual I know, but I need to get some £££ first.

:thankyousign:

·
Registered
501 Posts
On my MK2, I have fitted my GPS in and hardwired the power etc from the stereo ignition live. Mine is sat in the corner by the passenger side A pilar.

I'd be a bit worried if it was in the mirror housing, as people round my way like to knowck these off and it's bad enough fitting a new mirror without having to worry about any damage caused by additional wiring being pulled about.

·
Megger
88 Posts
Good point, although I don't tend to have to park on streets anywhere.

I had a mooch at the weekend, and it looks like there is a big bit of plastic behind the glovebox - I'm assuming where the steering wheel pole goes through to the cogs on a left hooker. Might simply drill this and stick a grommet in it and then have the mouse outside, under the plastic at the bottom of the windscreen. Might have to be a bit careful though, there are all sorts of pipes running around this bit.

·
MEG Commander
3,573 Posts
Erm be very careful drilling there.

There are posts elsewhere on how to get cabling from the cabin to the engine bay - typically for installing amplifiers, so look in the audio section.

Also, the prob with the mirror idea is getting the wiring into the door, to pass into the mirror.

·
Megger
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cool, I'll have a look then. I'll need to wproof my mouse before then as well. And I wonder how it will hold up being exposed to -degree's c temperatures.

·
MEG's Resident Removal Man
2,220 Posts
Just curious is this mouse the aditional antennas you can buy off ebay which are magnetic. If so ive put mine in the A pillar under the cowl on the N/S.

If its not what im talking about then ignore what i just said lol.

jcth1

·
Megger
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
LoL, its not - but I get what ya mean!

Nah, this is a 'wired' GPS module, rather than a bluetooth one - its got a self contained 'square' aerial which is soldered onto one of the circuit boards. Unforunatly the unit doesn't have an external aerial socket, and I can't be bothered to work out how to solder an aerial mount onto it. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts