Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI

im new to forums but ive joined because ive just picked up a 1982 mk2 ford granada 2.8 auto ghia,

what im asking is about restoration, the car is a genuine barn find and the couple that i got it from have owned it since it was 4 months old, i have the invoice aswell,,

ive had it on the ramps and other than a service and new brakes its spot on, the only thing letting it down is the body work, theres some surface rust on the panels and a scrape on the wing, whats the general thoughts among enthusiasts in terms of condition? ive heard people like them original and unrestored, and others saying do the bodywork on it and ull make a small fortune, im in two minds tbh

the car is totally original as it sits right now it would be nice to see it gleaming but i kinda like its overall character.

what are your thought??? ta all

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
I envy you, Phil; sounds like a great project.

I know what you mean, if you over-restore then you end up with Trig's Broom.

I would say that the rust and the scratch definitely have to be sorted; and there may be more tin-worm silently working it's way beneath the surface. My approach to this would be to get it mechanically right first with any jobs that need doing, then carefully strip the car paint back to metal, cut out any rust and pinholes you find and check the inside of the sills, weld anything that needs it, then get a full respray and re-chrome if needed. I try to avoid updating too much; it's easy to add this and that to modernise it, but then you lose the originality and the character of the car.

Those 2.8 Granadas are lovely cars, IMO. Good luck with the work.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’m looking for a recommendation, I have a Mk2 Granada 2.8 Ghia x I’m looking to get the grille Re-Chromed as it’s in a sorry state ! I know the process is called vacuum Metalising ! I’m looking for a recommendation of a company that can do this to restore the grille to its former glory ! Thanks in advance

1 - 4 of 4 Posts