Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
being SUPRISED! (maybe)
4,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before it went hot hatch crazy, been looking for it for a while......in a mondeo as well, this fat old F1 driver shows the established BTCC drivers how its done!

1998 BTCC Donnington Park

Attachments

·
Im Back !!!!
3,483 Posts
Wow, that is true class, willing him to win that race, think i vaguely remember watching it.

The guy was class, boring as f***, but a damn good racer :L

·
being SUPRISED! (maybe)
4,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah he didnt win, that years mondeo was hopeless. Until it got wet. I recall watching it, i think in the earlier race when it was dry Mansell stuffed it into some barriers somewhere. He didnt do a full season, just the odd few races here and there.

theres another wet race i recall at donnington where the renault 19's (the season before the laguna appeared i think) won, after being nowhere all season.

·
Big Megger
360 Posts
Absolutely superb, back when the BTCC was proper touring car racing, and the envy of the world, i'm afraid todays pales in comparison. Good driving by mansell.
Great find mate. :L :L

·
I'm Bang Tidy
9,548 Posts
Those were the days,when i enjoyed BTCC,anyone
know when the Laguna's were running.

·
being SUPRISED! (maybe)
4,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
um 94/95?? somthing like that? i know williams built or ran the first couple of seasons when they were yellow, dont know about when they went dark green

·
MEG's Resident Removal Man
2,220 Posts
Wow absolutly fantastic. I used to watch BTCC as a kid and always loved it. Todays BTCC however i couldnt give a crap about.

Nigel Mansell is a fantastic driver and it showed in that short.

jcth1

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
top stuff that
proper touring cars back then
not like todays crap boring as hell
need more cars bring back the mondeo, alfa 156,bmw 3 series, pug ,nissan pimera and honda accords
proper touring cars lots of action lots of panel banging fun with pits stops

·
One time Mondeo owner - now an outlaw!
6,199 Posts
My brother has got most BTCC season review videos, and I was watching that one not too long back.

We both maintain that those 4 or 5 laps were probably the most exciting BTCC laps ever.

·
MEG Colonel
5,987 Posts
Manix said:
um 94/95?? somthing like that? i know williams built or ran the first couple of seasons when they were yellow, dont know about when they went dark green
they used to buld them as i used to work in the building next to williams touring car (which was round the corner from williams F1)

·
Back in a Mondeo
5,462 Posts
Good old Nige! Top racing! Can I point out that the Vectra driver did well to correct the slight nudge he got which sent him a bit wobbly. Around 1 min 6 seconds - 1 min 10 seconds into the video. :L

·
being SUPRISED! (maybe)
4,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thing is is getting to the stage now where people wont of heard the brummie lion, and they will think jenson button mania is somthing!!!!

This guy was terrific. Maybe not the most cheerful or talkative, but boy could he race a car. 25 seconds behind nelson piquet in the 1987 british GP after a tye stop??? 25 laps to go? this guy broke the lap record time and time again, caught him with two laps to go and pulled of the most awesome overtaking manouvre with a sensational dummy down hangar straight and won. Round the outside of peraltada in mexico (i think) overtaking berger (if you can find that clip murray walkers trousers almost set on fire!) its stunning!!! Took the fight to ayrton senna unlike any other driver.

Often thought of as an also ran, there was no one better in the mid eighties early nineties than this guy, cept maybe senna on occasion.

·
IS BACK!!
2,976 Posts
the best bit of retro BTCC i've ever seen was tim harvey blatting around birmingham city centre in a RS500. but the early/mid nineties were great for watchng the action as all the cars were pretty much evenly matched in one way or another.

·
being SUPRISED! (maybe)
4,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ooo yes i forgot about the birmingham superprix and the touring cars round there, ive seen some in car footage of andy rouse in a RS500 round there (might have been on here?), pretty good stuff!!!

·
being SUPRISED! (maybe)
4,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
in fact here it is lol

Rouse v Harvey

No sign of traffic on the A38(m) lol. Is this 'track' still intact, as in the public roads are still there? i know they like to dig birmingham up now and then and it was a long time ago......

·
One time Mondeo owner - now an outlaw!
6,199 Posts
That takes me back!

Added to my favourites.

Haven't seen it in years, but the bit where they went past the Toyota "as though they were on the fast lane of a motorway", according to dear old Murray has always stuck in my mind.

Such close racing, and yet only that one touch. Would have been carnage with todays standards.

Power oversteer anyone? :woot:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.