Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just got my Mondeo and when I turn the steering wheel when stationary or at slow speeds there is a 'groan' from the steering column. Is this normal considering the car has the 225/40/18 wheels on it?

·
Registered
0 Posts
yip thats a common concern with new mondeo, but it may also be the strut top bearings . to confirm its the column get yourself down amongst the pedals and have a look up at the steering column ,above the universal joint you will see a straight section thats a triangle shape ,with the engine running grab hold of the outer triangle slip joint and slowly turn the steering [or get the wife to do it]
as it turns you may well feel it stick and give a little jerk,you can usually see it also with a good light ,if it does stick take out the pinch bolt[10mm] at the bottom of the column[WITH THE KEY REMOVED FROM THE IGN SWITCH so you dont unwind the airbag slipring and snap it] then fully pull out and in the sliding joint after applying some grease to the 3 corner parts to lube it up. [we use silicon grease at work , but LM grease will do fine] refit the column to the rack and fit the bolt[dont tighten it yet ]
this next bit is important to prevent excessive sidestrain on the pinion... get a tape measure and measure from the bottom of the triangle outer slip joint down to the top of the universal joint and adjust the sliding part to a length of 70mm and tighten the bolt. that should do it
.this took longer to type out than it takes to do it ,lol.
if that does not cure it it may well be a failed strut top bearing , this is also fairly common . depending how bad it is you can feel it by putting your hand right up to the top of the strut and feeling the bearing whilst someone turns the steering slowly ,you may feelthe bearng rough,crunching,or jerky, you may also have a broken spring of course :L

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.