Ford Automobiles Forum banner

Grrr - Jacking points

4K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  malford 
#1 · (Edited)
I always struggle to get my jack and axle stands into the jacking points behind the sills (the ones defined by the manual) - just not quite enough room.

I changed the front brakes at the weekend and when I brought it down of the jack there was some creaking and the rail behind the sill started to bend. I use a hockey puck with a slot cut in it which has served me well so far in keeping the rails straight. Never had an issue on the old Mk3 either.

So, besides these points, are there any other places that I can use for the stands once I have it jacked up? Front / rear sub frame perhaps?

There is a lot of plastic under the car and that narrows down the options somewhat...

#3 ·
I have a MK4.5 but I never jack up on the sills unless it's the emergency jack. For me, with a trolley jack, you can't get a dead vertical lift depending on the ground and so I jack up my car on a chassis leg box section, whatever it's called, and is where I also place the axle stands (with a bit of wood on top) or use the main sub frame bolt on the front.
For the rear I jack up from the front until it's high enough at the rear to place the axle stand (with wood) on a box section just inboard from the sill.

Automotive tire Tread Vehicle Tire Automotive exterior

#5 ·
The jack pinch welds on the MK5 are really crap when you want to utilize a standard trolley jack.
Some people use a hockey puck with a slot cut away then support with a axle stand.
Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.