Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Little Megger
4,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Operation is to open timing chain cover. So,there I am, with the jack placed under the sump with some rubber pads to prevent damage, raise the jack to support the engine to enable me to remove the rhs engine mount. Jack is a 2 tonne low profile I've had about 4 years. After about 2 hours, I notice that Jack is no longer supporting the engine... arghh! It's gone down on its own. Its not as if this jack's have a hard life either.
I've got a 50 year old bottle jack that stays up as long as it needs to. Is there something wrong with my Halfords jack or is this to be expected on this type of jack? As there isn't any where to put an axle stand to support the engine, it's a bit of a bummer!

·
Little Megger
4,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you ever topped up the oil?
No I haven't, but I've never seen any fluid leaking out either. Do you happen to know if steering fluid will do or will I need a trip to Halfords for jack oil?
These budget jacks all seem much the same design whether Aldi, Lidl, Clarke, Halfords...

·
Little Megger
4,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not sure about steering fluid, I would use jack oil.

If you have never topped it up in 4 years it may just need topping up and bleeding.

Does it go all the way down under pressure or just a bit lower?
Hi, it goes down a bit when under load but not all the way down. Been looking on youtube and think I've got enough info to have a go at bleeding it, but will have to buy some fluid if steering/atf won't do.

Reactions: stonekeeper

·
8 gears or more please
TrevorB BMW320 M Sport 2020 M Sport Pro Pack. Tech Pack (Head Up Display)
5,500 Posts
Reactions: stonekeeper

·
Little Megger
4,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's all well and good, but let's face it, they're all Chinese whoever you buy them from. Same materials same design same everything else. ie no better than all the rest really.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
That's all well and good, but let's face it, they're all Chinese whoever you buy them from. Same materials same design same everything else. ie no better than all the rest really.
Dunno about that, I bought this one - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SGS-2-5-Ton-Low-Profile-Garage-Trolley-Jack-Jacking-Pad/183599036622?hash=item2abf5af8ce:g:Ow0AAOSwI-heBeAp a couple of years ago, they do claim to be the manufacturer of it and it's far more robust than the Halfords jack I replaced with it, or any of the other jacks I've had over the years. Plus a 2-year warranty is better than a lot of Chinese brand ones seem to offer.

Reactions: nicam49 and TreborB

·
8 gears or more please
TrevorB BMW320 M Sport 2020 M Sport Pro Pack. Tech Pack (Head Up Display)
5,500 Posts
Nick, I do think that is a bit of a wide statement you are making.

SGS are well known and have a great reputation - stuff is not "the same" wherever you go

Anyhow, hope you get things sorted

Reactions: nicam49

·
Little Megger
4,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks chaps! I'll see how it goes with the oil and O ring kit I've bought. That jack in the link at>£100 probably says it all:you get what you pay for at the end of the day.

·
Little Megger
4,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update:bought an O ring kit from Halfords and jack oil from ECP and following some YouTube vids changed the rather puny O rings on my 2 jacks. Early days but think it might be sorted. At least the Halfords jack stays up longer now and the handle doesn't vibrate when the jack is under load, so that may be a sign of a failing O ring... interesting!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts