Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks for looking in. I am keeping this in good order for a vintage car. I had an advisory for the handbrake pads on the driver's side; reported as "tight" when the handbrake is released but free up when moving off. I suspect that they have been like this for a few years since that cable was replaced by a garage. Both brake discs return by the spring when the brake cable is removed, and the cable wire is loose in the sheath for the non drivers side.

I decided to attempt a fix and released both LH and RH cables, at the common link plate and the attachment at the handbrake itself. I can easily reattach the handbrake cable end to the caliper at the driver's side, but is there an adjustment screw somewhere, to enable the nondriver's side to be reattached at the common link plate?.

Further, how does the handbrake auto adjustment work, how is this reset?, I have seen mention of the foot brake playing a part in the handbrake autoadjustment. Haynes manual doesn't help.
Jaymack

·
Registered
2017 Mondeo ST Line X hatchback 2.0 TDCi 180.
743 Posts
from memory of when the Mondeo was first launched, to adjust the cable in any way involved dropping the exhaust heat shield as the cable (and adjuster/balancer) is under the car floor, above the heatshield. as for the auto adjusters, if the car has drum brakes (unlikely on a V6) they seldom work as well as theyre supposed to anyhow and we used to ratchet them up a little extra when servicing the brakes. if, as i suspect, the V6 has discs on the rear then they are completely self adjusting and require minimal maintenance, other than ensuring nothing is seized.

·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
from memory of when the Mondeo was first launched, to adjust the cable in any way involved dropping the exhaust heat shield as the cable (and adjuster/balancer) is under the car floor, above the heatshield. as for the auto adjusters, if the car has drum brakes (unlikely on a V6) they seldom work as well as theyre supposed to anyhow and we used to ratchet them up a little extra when servicing the brakes. if, as i suspect, the V6 has discs on the rear then they are completely self adjusting and require minimal maintenance, other than ensuring nothing is seized.
Thanks for the info but can you advise how the autoadjustment works on this Mark 1, Mondeo, Ghia 2.5l ? I have removed both rear, handbrake cables; one of these was easily reattached but the other needs "more length"; I suspect it is a latch for selfadjustment at fault; how is this reset ?.
Many thanks for looking, Jaymack

·
Registered
2017 Mondeo ST Line X hatchback 2.0 TDCi 180.
743 Posts
the V6 will likely have disc brakes on the rear. i cant remember seeing a 2.5 without them. any adjustment at the wheel end is done inside the calipers as there is a ratchet type system in there, which means the pistons have to be screwed back. pulling on the handbrake lever on the caliper before pumping the pads back out to the disc throws the adjustments out on the calipers so you usually end up with a poor handbrake. now, if all i have said so far makes sense, then either one cable is stretched, so longer than the other OR the handbrake lever on the caliper has been removed at some point (highly unlikely, ive never had to take one off in the 29 years the mondeo has been around) so the cable will need slackened off at the cable adjuster end, reattached to the calipers, the pads pumped back to where they should be, THEN the cable readjusted. the self adjusters usually mentioned in the haynes manuals etc are usually the ones in drum brakes on the shoes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts