Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Megger
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well had my mk2 s reg for two months and must say I'm quite impressed . Average 40 mpg with a mix of driving . I find the heated screen an abosolute god send in this weather !! The only thing that lets it down is ....it smokes alot on start up (cold)! Runs rough until rev'd a bit . Soon as it warms up the smoke stops . The solonoid thing click's 6 times or so and usualy starts first time . Theres no real smoke on acceleration (just the norm?)when warm .

So is there a choke type thing I can adjust to help stop the over smoking on start up (its white) ???????

As you can tell I aint no diesel spanner monkey :L

·
Man in a Jag
15,051 Posts
Could try disconnecting the EGR to see if that helps. I did this on my previous TD, along with taking the intercooler off for a good clean and it seemed to help. Both these are very easy to do - if you need to know how just shout up and I will point you in the right direction.

First port of call though is to try running some good injector cleaner through. Although I never tried it I have heard great things about Millers stuff. I used (and still do) Redex Diesel Injector Cleaner which does the trick. Best place I find to get Redex is Morrisons - its almost £2 cheaper than it is at Halfords (Its about £3.50 and will treat 2 tankfulls of fuel which should do the trick and may improve the MPG too).

Good to see another local lad Diesel owner on here. Might have enough North Westers soon for decent meet in our neck of the woods :)

·
Man in a Jag
15,051 Posts
Just thought of another funny thing - would be really mad if you had my old car :} I traded it in last October when I got my current car and was a 98(S) TD. It was Juice Green and the last 3 letters were KRB on the registration (its a long shot I know but I sold the car I had before that one to a guy in Wigan :))

·
TDDI Buff
37,060 Posts
mine always blew a puff of black smoke when it started and when it ran white smoke out the exhaust until it warmed up but i expect this was condensation always started from freezing cold didnt stall it would run for a minute then id go on and off the revs upto about 2000 rpm max to warm it up a bit for a few mins then id be off.

·
Megger
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No its not your old en mate , bought it from Daresbury and its Silver (how original) .

Have used Injector cleaner already , and its defo unburn diesel as it stinks like diesel (I should know as I'm a HGV driver). Its not a worry for the mo and I will try the EGR and cleaning the I.C.

I would consider NW meet but I would end up selling the TD and now buying a ST 24v V6 jobby . I really do like em but do to many miles travelling to work to justify having one :thankyousign:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts