Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Flesh and blood and camoflage
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am planning to do a major service on my new Mondeo, which I got in Nov and have been searching the forum for advice on what oil to use. And now I am a tad worried. The car is an R reg 2.0 LX, but according to Ford main dealer was built in Aug 1997....Anyway, my first question is - I know the owners manual says to use 5w-30 up to 10w40 oil but as the car has done over 100,000 miles I topped up the oil level with Havoline 15w40 which I used for my old Audi with good results. Not sure on the ACEA rating but will check later. Reading thru previous posts tho, am wondering if I've set myself up for trouble, using this grade of oil?

The car previously had been serviced by Ford every year of it's life, presumably with the Motorcraft 5w30 stuff, will check that out also when I phone the dealers to see exactly what a "service" consists of. In any case it has not been serviced since Sept 2005 due to the previous owner planning to sell and am fairly certain that's the only reason the oil level was low when I bought it. Owner does appear to have looked after it, but maybe not as clued up between services as he should have been. So the 15w40 oil has only been in there a month and the car still runs very well, aside from needing a service.

So have I caused a problem here? And any opinions on what grade, ACEA rating and brand of oil to use would be welcomed. Car is coming up for 101,000 miles, 500-ish of them mine. Will be doing more of them come caravan season, hopefully. :laugh:

·
MEG Corporal
1,387 Posts
If I was you, I would get the oil out, and put 5w30 in, any make, better still get a tyre place to do it, it only cost me £21 for an oil and filter change at National tyres. If you have only done 500 miles on this oil, I would think it will be ok, but change it as soon as possible. As far as a service is concerned, has the cam belt been changed, if not,make it a priority, get a cambelt kit, belt/rollers/tentioner, then there's plugs and leads, only use Ford, Air filter, pollen filter, and fuel filter, and thats about it. Use Ford parts if possible, but Ford will charge loads to do the service, so you may be better off getting a lochal garage to do the work, or do it yourself. The cam belt is the only thing I wouldn't do myself, but that depends on your skills, it's easy to do.

·
MEG Captain
4,819 Posts
as above about the oil , do it sooner rather than later , dont forget , as the weather gets colder the oil will be thicker at start up and wont get to all the vital bits as it should :whistling:

·
MEG Corporal
866 Posts
marks said:
from what i read he's only topped up the oil with 15-40 not changed it completely,surely that won't do any harm.
No it won't do any harm if its just a top up but as he's got a silvertop which is more sensitive to the correct grade of oil, I wouldn't continue topping up with that grade.

·
1,636 Posts
marks said:
from what i read he's only topped up the oil with 15-40 not changed it completely,surely that won't do any harm.
*cough* *cough* SHE. The giveaways in the username. :tongue: And yes it was a top up but topped up about a litre and a half in total. The ACEA rating btw is A2/B2. Am getting the bits together for the service Jan 2nd, possibly next week time-permitting, trip down to Ford garage and then friend of a friend is doing the service for me shortly after. Intending to do cam belt, water pump if I can find one with the metal blades (any help finding one of those?!), air, oil and fuel filter, oil itself obviously and also replacing fan, power steering and alternator drive belts and the usual rusty coolant pipe if it turns out they need doing. Fan belt is worn apparently and coolant pipe corroded according to a dodgy garage who were just out to make money. Power steering is noisy on full lock but OK according to trusted garage and alternator drive belt, I think it's that that's squeaking occasionally but no harm in changing and don't think it costs that much. Oh yes, also changing HT leads, spark plugs and putting a nearly new battery in. I got one for my Audi just a few months ago before the head gasket went so would be a shame to waste it. It's also a bigger battery.

Planning on using genuine Ford filters, belts and coolant pipe, using an upgraded set of HT leads designed for track use and NGK Platinum spark plugs. However, thinking about using a Quinton Hazell cam belt kit after searching through some old posts, seem to do the job well at a reasonable price. This is the first major service I've had to organise on a car - does the above sound about right? Are there any acceptable substitutes for the filters? Seen alot around made by different manufacturers but genuine Ford doesn't seem all that much more. Best to stick with that?

Would you say go for the 5w40 oil or could I use 10w40? Just concerned the 5w40 may be too thin for a car with this mileage. Any particular brands anyone would recommend?

Many thanks to everyone for replies so far, hope you're all having a lovely Christmas. :D

Edit - just thought of something else - would it be advisable to completely change the coolant, and brake and power steering fluid? Brake fluid was topped up 2 weeks ago when it burst a rear brake cylinder.

·
Registered
738 Posts
all sounds very good to me but stick with 5-30 oil 100k on a zetec is nothing,if your going to do all that work then might be worth checking the metal brake pipes under the fuel tank it's a common problem they rust like mad.
merry xmas

·
MEG Corporal
866 Posts
[quote name=MissZetec2.0]
Planning on using genuine Ford filters, belts and coolant pipe, using an upgraded set of HT leads designed for track use and NGK Platinum spark plugs. However, thinking about using a Quinton Hazell cam belt kit after searching through some old posts, seem to do the job well at a reasonable price. This is the first major service I've had to organise on a car - does the above sound about right? Are there any acceptable substitutes for the filters? Seen alot around made by different manufacturers but genuine Ford doesn't seem all that much more. Best to stick with that?

Would you say go for the 5w40 oil or could I use 10w40? Just concerned the 5w40 may be too thin for a car with this mileage. Any particular brands anyone would recommend?

Many thanks to everyone for replies so far, hope you're all having a lovely Christmas. :D

Edit - just thought of something else - would it be advisable to completely change the coolant, and brake and power steering fluid? Brake fluid was topped up 2 weeks ago when it burst a rear brake cylinder.[/quote]

Its good to use genuine Ford filters. Also, Ford HT leads are better than some "high performance" leads. As for the belt kit, Gates manufacture the original belt kits for Ford ( CLICK HERE FOR DETAILS ) and they are cheaper than Ford.

You need 5w-30 oil, not 10w-40. These engines will suffer from sticking valves if too thick an oil is used. A coolant drain/flush/refill won't hurt. Brake fluid should be changed every 2-3 years anyway.

Merry xmas MissZ. :D

·
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
marks said:
all sounds very good to me but stick with 5-30 oil 100k on a zetec is nothing,if your going to do all that work then might be worth checking the metal brake pipes under the fuel tank it's a common problem they rust like mad.
merry xmas
Funnily enough the dodgy garage tried to tell me they were dangerously corroded just 2 months after it's MOT. My local independant said they were perfectly serviceable still, but they did spot the burst brake cylinder which was leaking fluid every where, which the dodgy garage missed. :thumbdown:

Going to try and get the little guy into National on Wed to get the oil and filter changed. Think that's my quickest option. Will check they can use the correct grade of oil when I phone. Am being extra gentle with him til he heats up now, just in case. Was being careful with him anyway but got some shopping in the sales to do tomorrow. :D

Hope everyone's having a good one, Merry Christmas. :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.