Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody,

I drive a Ford Mondeo model 2008. Last week the battery died when I tried to start. I could'nt turn of the power because I have a start button and everything wash flashing including the xenon lights. After 1minute everything went dead. I have changed the battery and all malfunctions on the covers+ erased exempt 1. Even thou everything is working fine, the xenon works and also the light sensor, I keep getting the message headlight malfunction on my convers+. I went to the ford garage and they told me that I have to change both headlights because they couldn't erase the error and they think that the headlight module is broken. I have opened the headlights but did not found an module except cables and lamps. Did anyone had this experience or can anyone help me please to find this headlamp module?

Thanks a lot and sorry for my poor English.

Regards
Marc

·
Over Enthusiastic
5,374 Posts
Well your Ford garage wasn't very helpful by the looks of things and as I have halogen lamps which give a bulb failure warning if a lamp has failed, I don't know what would givee a Xenon lamp failure warning, I guess it could be that it doesnt light up. Your saying they do light up so we could assume it's the headlight levelling thats faulty, but how you go about establishing this when the dealer themselves seems very unsure and unhelpful isnt a good start.

Maybe someone will pop onto the forum and offer better help..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have noticed that when I start the engine and the light go on. They do go up and down, but less then before. The interval is smaller. I guess that's also leveling problem?
I am afraid that I have to change both headlights to get the yellow dot away.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I've had an identical issue to you, caused by exactly the same thing. The Ford dealer is talking rubbish. Your lights don't actually move up and down on test, they move left to right and back again but I digress :) Take your mondeo to ANY decent garage with good diagnostics and ask them to put the headlights into maintenance mode and allow them to self adjust in this mode. 5 mins later your headlights will be properly level (they probably aren't at the moment) and your dashboard message will disappear. If you live near Milton Keynes, PM me and I'll put you in touch with a garage who can fix this for you. No need to go to Ford as this fix doesn't need IDS and your headlight module isn't broken. This issue is simply down to your lights not being able to complete the test when you're battery went flat and the converse now knows that they are no longer properly level.

If you are near MK I can put you in touch with someone who will come out to you and sort it, save you going to the garage.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Ah. I stand corrected on me trying to be flash about my minimal car knowledge! Any hoo, the fix is the same so don't worry Marc.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks a lot guys. I am from Belgium so it would a long ride to your garage :). But I will go to another garage for a second opinion and explain to them what you wrote. I hope this gets the annoying alarm and yellow dot away.

·
Registered
177 Posts
The garage will have a diagnostics machine that plugs into the car like Knight Rider and shows all sorts of information. One of the options available to the mechanic will be to put the lights into maintenance mode. This will make the car automatically adjust the headlights and will erase the error at the same time. Phil mentioned about the xenon headlights; The fix I mentioned is actually for xenon lights but produces the same result for adaptive lights too which is what I have.

Reactions: lorraine8847

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Paul, indeed the test was not completed when everything started to go out because of the battery. I will go to a Bosch service near, they have that kind of equipment. I am very glad to hear I am not the only one.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi everybody, I have an update. Well what happens is that the leveling engines in the headlight broke down because of the battery problems. They seem to work fine, when I turn on the ignition they go up and down, but they kept giving a faulty reading to the convers. So I bought 2 second hand xenon headlights and replaced only the small leveling engines and everything is fine now :).

So when you see the battery is flat turn off the lights before they give you headache.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts