Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
MEG's Resident Removal Man
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would there be any issues with heating Diesel to 90 Degrees C.

Planning on running my Fiesta D (bosch pump) on WVO and Derv (and declaring the duty) but i dont want to kill either one of the pumps ive got so im looking at a fuel line heater thingy off ebay.

Link

jcth1

·
TDDI Buff
35,213 Posts
well afaik i had an emmisions test and the oil temp came up as 80c i think theress a lot of info on that link and if it wasnt safe it wouldnt get made for what its for.

·
MEG Corporal
1,043 Posts
thought it may help to say....

I've seen the oil temp gauge on the buses I drive go up as far as 250f (the engine cuts out at that) so that's about 120c and the g/box temp go up to 110c when using the retarder and it's not even in the red section.

Derv

·
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys but i need to know the consequences of having diesel being kept at around 90 degrees C not oil.

I need to know as im looking at running vege oil in my Fiesta and one option is a heater setup using the coolant as a heat exchanger to reduce the viscosity of Vege Oil.

I dont want to end up however reaching the flash point or whatever it is of the Derv mixed in.

jcth1

·
MEG Corporal
1,043 Posts
* Flash point: >62 °C
* Autoignition temperature: 210 °C

got that from Wiki

(for diesel)

·
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so what would i need to be worried about. flash point or autoignition. im guessing the latter but unsure

jcth1

·
MEG Corporal
1,043 Posts
lol, I dunno. perhaps diesel is unsafe to be stored at temps above the flash point and it'll deffo blow at the autoignition temp?

Sounds like a cool plan you got. You're really going to declare and pay the duty on the WVO?

·
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
off course :whistling:

im a believer that if its fuel it should be tax just the same as USA, Australia ans some parts of Europe.

jcth1

·
MEG Corporal
1,043 Posts
sure thing...

I thought about shoving a few bottles of oil in the tank a while ago but then I read about lucas pumps taking a dislikeing to it when it's cold.

·
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yea think i stopped at the right time especially as my mixes were getting 70+% vege oil.

jcth1

·
MEG Corporal
1,043 Posts
was it a lucas? how did it run...smell nice?

·
TDDI Buff
35,213 Posts
mrmondie's dad has a mk2 runninng 50/50 diesel and oil has been for ages no probs.

·
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
derv said:
was it a lucas? how did it run...smell nice?
bit lumpy when the temps dropped a bit in the morning during summer, once the engine been running 1 minute it was fine.

Smelt lovely and was great fun sitting at the traffic lights outside our local night club when an american band was due to play. Bet the crowd thought the chippy next door smelt wonderfull lol.

jcth1

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.