Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need a little help!

My transit started randomly cutting out as I was in neutral braking to pull up at a set of lights about a month back. No warning signs before it cut out it just went dead. As I was rolling i could turn the key off then back on and the van would start up like nothing happened and keep going.

A week after this started happening the engine fell apart on the freeway resulting in a tow to my ford service center. It had broken a camshaft lobe resulting in a big bill with a replacement of both camshafts, timing cover, complete oil drain, numerous amounts of tests and so on.

Van is back up an running no problems there. But the issue of the van cutting out when slowing down at a light is.

I was told it was going to cost another substantial amount to re open the engine, pull it apart again send the head unit to get tested and check the valves as it may be a sticky valve. They have done compression tests and the result are 180 for each.

If this was a sticky valve wouldn't it cut out whist I was driving also not just when I am slowing down at a set of lights?

I feel as if they may be picking at straws here for the problem so I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem and had a more definite answer as to what may cause the issue. Van is at 240,000 km mark.

·
got enough names thanks
1,717 Posts
if in neutral when slowing down or not the ecu will just keep the engine ticking over at idle rpm...I'm guessing the reduced rpm is what encouraged the cut out although its not the reason for the cut out...better to go down the gears when slowing ..it'll save you some fuel too ..albeit very small

if you suspect sticky valves then spray some intake/carb cleaner through the induction ..see if it helps..other than a strip down

·
Registered
1 Posts
Need a little help!

My transit started randomly cutting out as I was in neutral braking to pull up at a set of lights about a month back. No warning signs before it cut out it just went dead. As I was rolling i could turn the key off then back on and the van would start up like nothing happened and keep going.

A week after this started happening the engine fell apart on the freeway resulting in a tow to my ford service center. It had broken a camshaft lobe resulting in a big bill with a replacement of both camshafts, timing cover, complete oil drain, numerous amounts of tests and so on.

Van is back up an running no problems there. But the issue of the van cutting out when slowing down at a light is.

I was told it was going to cost another substantial amount to re open the engine, pull it apart again send the head unit to get tested and check the valves as it may be a sticky valve. They have done compression tests and the result are 180 for each.

If this was a sticky valve wouldn't it cut out whist I was driving also not just when I am slowing down at a set of lights?

I feel as if they may be picking at straws here for the problem so I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem and had a more definite answer as to what may cause the issue. Van is at 240,000 km mark.
Did you ever manage to find the fault mate? Sounds like i am having the exact same issue now. Only does it on a morning but same issue with cutting out while driving? TIA

1 - 3 of 3 Posts