Ford Automobiles Forum banner

Help me before i kill the damn thing!!!

923 views 37 replies 12 participants last post by  mondeo.man662 
#1 ·
Right i thought id start a new post!!

Right, changed the lamda sensor today , still the same, plugged everything back in and the car starts fine idles fine, but rev's fine, driving is a different matter!!

9 miles to a fiver of juice, get to 2k rpm and the power dies but continues to rev!!! doesnt sound meaty at all and sounds very tinny!!

Now disconnect the maf sensor and the car idles lumpy but drives like a rocket, which bits do i replace to get it running right, im gonna go for a powerboost valve and ecotek eventually but for now i want my fuel economy back and preferably no flat spots!!

Somebody please , if not i will kill this car!!!!

#2 ·
What happens when you disconnect the new Lambda?

Be careful, because you don't want it to get wrecked by being covered in unburnt fuel...

Might be worth what was suggested to me, and get it onto the diagnostics; it may be cheaper than the fuel you're going through at the moment!

Cheers,

Nick

#4 ·
did you reset the ECU after changing the Lambda sensor?

#6 · (Edited by Moderator)
from what i remember once the lambda is dead then the ECU flags a fault and throws away any info recieced from the lambda. Reset the ECU (pull fuses 11 and 4 in engine bay overnight) and see if that makes any difference

#8 ·
I take it that you've covered all the basic checks too mate, such as HT Leads, Spark Plug health & gapping ??? Fuel filter ??? Also, isn't there a rubber gasket that sits beneath the coil pack that's prone to breaking down.

Just a thought, as your getting well deep into fault diagnosis.

#11 ·
coil packs break on the mk2`s as well mate. plus the leads could be breaking down on load of engine so visually look ok. plugs can be wire brushed but would say better off with new ones gapped to 1.0mm IIRC. other than the lambda or mabey the CAT breaking down i cant really think of anything else that could do this. the teeth aint out on the timing at all are they? aint slipped on the belt? MAF aint clogged with grime?

Dan :L

#14 ·
By doing that you disconnected the feedback loop for air flow, making the ECU want to squirt more fuel in.

#15 ·
i'd say you need a bit of ford diagnostics! Changing bits and pieces willy nilly will work out far more expensive than 10 minutes on ford's computer, i suggest maybe you get them to look at it!

Also, i see you are going for a power boost valve and an ecotek valve. I really would not bother, you will not notice any improvements!!

#16 ·
If you really want an Ecotek thingy, I've got one sitting in my shed doing nothing. Even got the little Pipercross filter.

#18 ·
you're running lean, which points to fuel pump, filter, regulator, or MAF. Get the fuel pressure checked, and clean the element on the MAF. Checking ignition will do you no good, no way is this ignitiont related, or CAT.

#20 ·
Check for cracks in exhaust mainfold. If is sucks air to the system via a small crack the lambda will be fooled that system is running lean and add more fuel until it maxes out the pump or injectors.. Had this on my old mk1 , changed the mainfold and all problems solved... could also be a crack between mainfold and exhaust (gasket). On mine you could´t hear any leacks and see any black traces. so worth checking out...

#21 ·
Raffe said:
Check for cracks in exhaust mainfold. If is sucks air to the system via a small crack the lambda will be fooled that system is running lean and add more fuel until it maxes out the pump or injectors.. Had this on my old mk1 , changed the mainfold and all problems solved... could also be a crack between mainfold and exhaust (gasket). On mine you could´t hear any leacks and see any black traces. so worth checking out...
Now this i will check as i have had a new exhaust put on and i think one bolt was undone on the manifold and not tightened up :L

#23 ·
Put a preassure gauge on the fuelline that goes to the injectors , on MK1 there is a release valve there on the line in to injectors don´t know if mk2 has same valve.. It has a blue cap on mk1 and a tire pumping connector will fit on it (used my old tire pumping device to check my fuel preassure :L )

#26 · (Edited by Moderator)
an easy one to check: cracks on the spark plugs.
i've got 1 of mine cracked and when reving it stat was fine but driving it was loosing power and was shaking the whole car. the only way to drive it was very gentle cruising almost without gas.
maybe that's where you are loosing fuel.
next is leads, coil..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.