Ford Automobiles Forum banner

Help please

527 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  siruncle 
#1 ·
Hi all I'm doing this on my father in laws behalf, He has a 2004 C-Max 2ltr diesel just got it 3 weeks ago and was running fine for the first week then all of a sudden it overheated, he stopped it on my drive way and it's been there ever since, I have looked at it and it has some weird symptoms........... from the second you switch the engine on it's overflowing from the expansion bottle, the temp gauge sits at 65 for ages then suddenly jumps up, the heating is stil coming out hot, there is very smelly smoke from the exhaust but the engine is stil smooth as it was on the first day, a friend said head gasket but when mine went I lost all my heating and it was churning thick smoke out this is like a cold start I've also been told these cars rarely chuck a head gasket.... I'm no mechanic and know nothing about cars I'm all about bikes but the poor bloke is gutted he payed 1700 quid for this out of his pension and we have just been told it's 700 quid for the head gasket he really can't afford to be mucked about by some back street garage so any advice you can give would be gold dust to us right now.

Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
head gasket failure is usually accompanied by a beige mayonnaise substance under the oil filler cap, and possibly inside the coolant expansion tank. Worth looking for this. (oil and water mixed together)

if you can, it might be worth removing one end of a coolant hose and poking a hosepipe in it and see if you can get it to flow out the part the hose was fixed to. Try in a couple of other places, and also if possible flush the radiator. Reverse flush too if possible (put hosepipe in a removed hose, flush, put it in the part the hose came from and flush again etc...)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.