Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Little Megger
33 Posts
Hi, I have a 1996 Mk1 Mondeo TD, The misses has got home today saying it's making a funny noise.
Just had a look and when you turn the wheel it makes a loud groining noise.
Also it sound a bit rattlely under the bonnet coming from the front left side under the Air Con pump where i have the belt and pulley I'm guessing for the injector pump.
Now would i be right by guessing the Steering pump is knackered?.
If so any idea what it's like to fit or worth it?
I only paid £250 for the car a year ago but until today it's been great.
Thanks!

·
Turbo Boost Me!
1,018 Posts
Check the fluid 1st, If it is at the right level them I would say the pump is screwed, It is a really horrible noise I know, Did one for a nate a couple of years ago

·
Little Megger
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That was quick!, yes the fluid is fine, like treacle but on level.
Any idea what 2nd hand one cost and how hard to change? or if worth it! Cheers bud

·
Little Megger
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well it's been confirmed the pump has gone, been offered one for a Mk2 Diesel Mondeo but it has the later engine in it, does one know if the pumps are the same?

·
MEG Corporal
801 Posts
approach with caution, best way is to compare it visually(finis code is best).

·
Now in the Far East...
2,727 Posts
I have been quoted for a pump is £75 (not sure whether it is reconditioned or not) and a steering rack is £85...

Mine is squealing when cold (when trying to turn), and the fluid is dark brown in colour at the moment. Also other people (who also drives mondeos) say that my steering is much heavier than theirs....

Hope it helps

Phil

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.