Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

Our engine in our MK4-2008 (2.0 TDCI-140) has in the last few days started making a louder engine sound. The sound is best described as a normal diesel engine with an increased volume (x1.5) or as a gasoline engine with rattling valves. There is no indication of errors in the display or at OBD-II error output. The engine starts and runs is normal (at idle stable around 750 rpm.) and there is no issues or differences at driving. All this independent from connected equipment such. A/C.

The sound does not come from around the drive belt and it doesn't sound as a faulty exhaust pipe although the sound seems to come from the rear of the engine.

I've cleaned the inlet hoses and filter, but without changes.

I've attached a link below to a couple of videos.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/cljzz7txibq8hy9/AACGBvFJB1ritxvLCqP5usHIa

Any among you who have experienced the same symptoms?

thanks,

All the best!
Joergen

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Pedro,

Thanks for your fast reply.

I've just been under the car to check the exhaust for physical damage or serious wear/tear. I could't find any leakages or other damage to the pipe/converter system. I also had the car running to see if I could locate the fault under the car due to noise or pressure, but without any success. Do you think it is possible that the error could be inside the exhaust system and therefore can't be found/detected from the outside ?

At the opposite side where the exhaust connects to the engine I spotted some black soot residue, but there where no signs of pressure from the exhaust while engine running and no specific sound either.

·
Registered
10 Posts
You can take of the catalytic converter, and see if there is any leak on the welds, it easy to take off, you also can check the connection between the catalytic and the turbo, mine had a leak there.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
It could well be a collapsed cat.

Not so easy to take off if the cars been through six Danish winters. We use a he'll of a lot of salt on the roads in Britain and our climate is much more humid. I'm guessing Denmark isn't much better. Portugal is a more dry heat.

It's a lottery as to whether you'll get the cat off without snapping bolts. I wouldn't attempt it without new fixings, a gasket and a propane torch at the very least.

Posted Via The Free TalkFord.com App

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for your all answers.

Bolts and brackets are indeed rusty and even though I have air tools they can be a headache to unmount without destroying them or my patience.

I'll bring the car by the workshop today and keep you updated on the diagnosis. I guess you're right about errors in the exhaustsystem - it sounds very plausible although I remember the sound a bit different(petrol) as in dependent of rpms and much more rattling echoes with significant errorsource. This is my first diesel engine I was a bit worried about the engines tickiering sound as in loose valves on a petrol engine. And as I couldn´t locate any leaks or damages which could cause the higher volume I was afraid it would be the engine it self.

I'll be back,

Best regards,

Joergen

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hereby a follow up on the diagnoses.

Went to the workshop today where the mechanics said that they were 90% sure of a broken flexplate. I'll keep you posted ...

Best regards,

Joergen

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Pedro,

Then maybe I'm wrong in my terms ? They said they had to unmount the transmission to determine the state of the flexplate. I thought the flexplate on an aut. transmission was the same as a flywheel on a man. transmission. They did not mention any leaks.

·
SMeghead
1,122 Posts
Manual transmission has a dual mass flywheel, which has rubber inserts to allow some flex and cushion the drivetrain from shock. IIRC, the powershift system has something similar.

Exhaust systems often have flexi-pipes in them, to allow some movement without cracking the solid pipes.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Sorry i did a bad translation i thought it was a flexible pipe ( i don´t know if this is the correct term) .

That sound looks a exaust leak, and don´t know how the flexplate can make a noise like that, but i i´m not near the car so it hard to have sure.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Depends what transmission is in his car. 2.2 diesel and the 2.3 petrol have a torque Converter auto, which has a flex plate.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Latest update from the mechanics to the topic and the final diagnose on the problem.

The flexplate was damaged due to a broken tab in the "torq converter" (I think it is the right term). Therefore a new converter + flexplate should fix the problem and get us on the road again.

Thanks for all your replies. It's a great way to share knowledge.

Best regards,

Joergen

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Glad you've got the problem diagnosed. Very rare issue, as torque Converter automatics are usually very strong.

Let us know how the car drives when you have the new parts fitted. ????

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi TF,

Just an update on the above thread.

We got the car back from the mechanics last week and the diagnosis was right. Due to broken tabs in the torqueconverter the flexplate was broken which caused the increase enginesound.

The above parts has been renewed and the car just drives perfectly again. A very rare fault or error that the Forddelaer only had experienced once before.

I have attached a link to a couple of pictures of the brokes parts:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/cljzz7txibq8hy9/AACGBvFJB1ritxvLCqP5usHIa

Once a again thanks for all your time and interest.

Best Regards,

Joergen

1 - 16 of 16 Posts