Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All could do with some help here please.

I have a 2013 2L diesel with 150,000 miles on.

Check engine light came on and I cleared code with a cheap handheld reader that couldn't read it.
3 weeks later it's back again. I got my Forscan scanner out. Log pasted below.

I googled these error codes looks to be straight forward enough, a sensor in the exhaust somewhere. Anybody got any thoughts? I am minded to try cleaning connection with contact cleaner? Or am I not that lucky.

Thanks for any words of advise.

===PCM DTC P20E4:64-AF===
Code: P20E4 - Exhaust Gas Temperature Sensor 2/3 Correlation Bank 1

Additional Fault Symptom:
- Signal Plausibility Failure

- DTC Present at Time of Request
- Malfunction Indicator Lamp is On for this DTC

Module: Powertrain Control Module

Freeze Frame :
-GLOBTIM: 302440768 sec - Global real time
-TOTDIST: 242056.0 km - Total Distance
-MAINECUV: 11.25 Volt - Main ECU voltage supply
-ESTSERUN: Yes - Engine status - engine running
-ESTSECRK: No - Engine status - engine in crank
-INCARTMP: 8 °C - In car temperature
-OUTTMP: 8 °C - External Temperature From Sensor
===END PCM DTC P20E4:64-AF===

===PCM DTC P242A:00-2C===
Code: P242A - Exhaust Gas Temperature Sensor Circuit Bank 1 Sensor 3

- DTC Maturing - Intermittent at Time of Request
- Malfunction Indicator Lamp is Off for this DTC

Freeze Frame :
-GLOBTIM: 302380448 sec - Global real time
-TOTDIST: 242048.0 km - Total Distance
-MAINECUV: 14.75 Volt - Main ECU voltage supply
-INCARTMP: 16 °C - In car temperature
-OUTTMP: 10 °C - External Temperature From Sensor
===END PCM DTC P242A:00-2C===

===PCM DTC P242E:92-28===
Code: P242E - Exhaust Gas Temperature Sensor Circuit Intermittent/Erratic Bank 1 Sensor 3

Additional Fault Symptom:
- Performance Or Incorrect Operation

- Previously Set DTC - Not Present at Time of Request

Freeze Frame :
-GLOBTIM: 302380448 sec - Global real time
-TOTDIST: 242048.0 km - Total Distance
-INCARTMP: 16 °C - In car temperature
-OUTTMP: 10 °C - External Temperature From Sensor
===END PCM DTC P242E:92-28===

===PCM DTC U0284:00-2F===
Code: U0284 - Lost Communication with Active Grille Air Shutter Module A

- DTC Present at Time of Request

Freeze Frame :
-GLOBTIM: 275849632 sec - Global real time
-TOTDIST: 229783.0 km - Total Distance
-INCARTMP: 11 °C - In car temperature
-OUTTMP: 5 °C - External Temperature From Sensor
===END PCM DTC U0284:00-2F===

===OBDII DTC P20E4-C===
Code: P20E4 - Exhaust Gas Temperature Sensor 2/3 Correlation Bank 1

·
Registered
109 Posts
Run the car and go to live data on Forscan while selecting all exhaust gas temp sensor options. See if There's one that's reading differently to the others, that will be your bad sensor. Can be difficult to find the right one on the car as there could be many dotted along the exhaust system and may not always be chronological (closest sensor to engine being sensor 1, next sensor being sensor 2 etc.)

If you're mechanically inclined, lift the car up. Climb under and see can you spot any other sensors besides pre/post O2 sensors. Remove or unplug one at a time, delete codes on forscan and see does the same bank 1 sensor 3 code come back.

If I was to guess there's probably an exhaust temp sensor somewhere near the Turbo, between the CAT and DPF and after the DPF, maybe a 4th one right at the end of the exhaust.

·
Super Moderator
31,704 Posts
Check the soot loading percentage also. There will be several not just one.

Oddly the max figure is 300%, my 2013 car stopped trying to regen when it hit 300%.

I got the car hot and reset ALL the values and then took it for a drive and the soot load increased as I drove
away then when it hit approx 80% it did its regen and its never done it again since.

I put it down to lots of short journeys the previous day helping someone move, journeys of a mile or less each way
so the car was constantly stop/start and probably didnt get the right readings to to a proper regen.

·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks all. Purple, like you I had found my own way to possibly the DPF being a cause in this. Or maybe not...

Blake I will go for a drive and monitor the gas sensors to hone in on the dodgy one. From my research the sensor is pre DPF - assuming it is reporting correctly.

Bit of background I have owned the car for years without a hiccup. In the last year my driving style has changed to a lot more short journeys or very short journeys. In the last couple of months I noticed 3 or 4 times when pulling up to park the cooling fan was going at full speed even when ambient temps weren't that high. I never paid it any mind but perhaps the car was in the middle of a regen which would then fail because I stopped the vehicle.

After googling the P sensor error in my OP I stumbled upon this Nissan tech going on about the error commonly having a root cause elsewhere, DPF most likely.

I checked oil level and it is normal. Car doesn't use any and I change it about every 10,000 miles or couple of years (I do about 6-9k a year). I don't fancy throwing £60 down the drain on a sensor if it won't fix it, or just bodge a problem for a few weeks.

Interestingly since my post the engine management light/limp mode hasn't come on since even though I haven't reset the codes. I can see them still stored but it's not showing as active.

Tonight I started the car and did live diagnosis in Forscan with results: DPF_SOOT_LD - 25%. DPF_LOAD - 29% and DPF kpa (pressure?) - 0%. This was at idle from warm engine. Do I need to go for a drive and leave the laptop plugged in to see if those readings rise?

My plan is to force a manual static regen within FORSCAN then see what happens?

Purple would you care to tell me how you "reset all the values" - is that a PCM troubleshooting step somewhere. I vaguely recall seeing it but I'm back in the house now.
I think it may be better to try a forced regen first to see how I go before resetting values.

Thanks a lot.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts