Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Little Megger
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

I'm still struggling to diagnose this fully.

The Forscan error code, which is persistent after clearing DTS, is:

Code: B1D64 - Left Headlamp Swiveling Motor

Additional Fault Symptom:
- Missing Message

- DTC Present at Time of Request
- Malfunction Indicator Lamp is Off for this DTC
I have looked closely at the wiring of both headlamps internally and I cannot see any loose wires inside the unit. I've cleaned the car side connector plugs too.

I've had both swivel motors out of the light units and the passenger side was heavily corroded, see picture. However I can't know for sure if this motor is kaput or not without swapping for another unit at a high cost. There is a good chance that the motor is the problem but on the other hand it could just be external corrosion with a wiring fault. How can I test the motor itself?

I have seen the right headlamp swivel move recently, but now it's stuck in the far rightmost position. The left swivel isn't moving at all. If the error is with the left side headlight then why is the right side stuck in that position?

I don't want to shell out for new/used headlight units if the problem can be found and fixed. There's clearly something up with the right side unit as well as the left even though there is only one error message present.

Mine is a 2007 car. If I could find used headlamps off any of the later models will they be a straight swap onto my car?

·
Little Megger
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
It will cost about £450 for a new pair of lights both sides but if the problem is the connector then it might not fix it.

·
Little Megger
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If I could somehow centre the adaptive lights and then just deactivate them, that would probably be ok. The cornering lights still work. How can I centre the motor?

·
Little Megger
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I have switched over the swivel motors from left to right and right to left.

So if the left swivel motor is faulty, the fault code showing in Forscan should now move to the right headlight.

So I just went and refitted the lights in the dark as I couldn't wait. Indeed the fault code has moved to the right headlight.

Now I have both of my headlights pointing outwards. The left to the left, and the right to the right.

·
Little Megger
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bought a whole new used headlight off ebay which appears to have solved the issue, at a cost of £85. Disappointing that there is no fix remedy for the headlights - separating the unit and fitting a new seal and motor should be doable, cheap and less wasteful than a whole new unit.

·
Little Megger
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So close. The replacement headlight seemed to be working - the start up left to right swivel procedure was working and the dash warning had gone.

However after a few minutes driving, the dash warning comes back on. It is cleared by restarting the car, but again after driving a little bit it comes back.

Clearly the headlight was faulty as the swivel motors are both now working correctly, but something is still amiss to keep giving the dash warning.

I'll get forscan connected tomorrow to see what error codes its giving now and try and module reset and calibration.

·
Little Megger
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi all. Connected to the car this morning using Forscan. There are DTS codes stores in the headlamp control module (HCM):
===HCM DTC B1D68:64-6C===
Code: B1D68 - Left Headlamp Swiveling Feedback Sensor
Additional Fault Symptom:
- Signal Plausibility Failure
I reset the codes, went for a drive, and again after about a minute or two it reappeared.

I've tried forcing the start up procedure and the same fault - signal implausibility - appears.

I tried running the calibration procedure, but actually I don't think this did anything.

Then I tried going into the body control module (BCM) to access the central configuration. But, Forscan wanted me to upload a secondary boot loader to the car first. I don't know what this is so I cancelled the operation, so as yet I've not been able to access the central configuration to see what options there are for disabling the adaptive headlights.

Signal implausibility suggests to me that the signal coming from the swivel motor is somehow out of expected range. But..the lights work and swivel, and there doesn't seem to be any calibration procedure specifically for the swivel motor and sensor.

Im a bit stuck now with what to do next.

Could it still be a problem with the wiring in the connector plug itself? How would I de-pin this to check the security of the terminals as it looks like a sealed unit?

Is anyone actually going to reply to this thread and help me?

Reactions: twincarbs

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Have you had a look at the pins on the headlight and the connector plug to the car harness? They're not the most easily visible but you should be able to see if there is any corrosion in the plug.

I'm surprised the calibration didn't do anything, when I fitted a pair of new lights I forgot to do the calibration and had the same issue you have now. After calibration they've been spot on..

·
Little Megger
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Have you had a look at the pins on the headlight and the connector plug to the car harness? They're not the most easily visible but you should be able to see if there is any corrosion in the plug.

I'm surprised the calibration didn't do anything, when I fitted a pair of new lights I forgot to do the calibration and had the same issue you have now. After calibration they've been spot on..
Thanks for the reply Mark.

Yes so when I first took the lights off the face of the plug (the pink face on the car side of the plug) was green with corrosion. The pins on the headlight were also green with corrosion, obviously the pins now are fine as the new headlight is on. I cleaned off the face of the car side connector and sprayed contact cleaner inside each of the terminals. I got a thin point piece of metal and inserted it in and out of each terminal. All the pins look to be intact from what I can see from the outside, but it is likely that water did get inside it for a while so its possible there is internal damage. From the outside, it looks clean now.

The calibration procedure didn't appear to do anything from forscan at least. It went like this:
  • I ran the procedure.
  • Forscan told me to switch on low beam, which I did, and pressed ok.
  • Forscan popped up with a message to adjust the units with the proper calibration equipment. I clicked OK.
  • The process ended.

I was watching the lights from outside and I didn't see the units go through any form of sweep, self test or anything. I don't know what it should do.

·
Little Megger
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dont want to speak too soon but... just been out for a 15 minute drive about and didn't get the dash warning. Swivel function on the lights was fully functional.

I hadn't driven the car since I ran the calibration procedure earlier today. Although it didn't appear to do anything on the surface, perhaps indeed it does do something in the background.

Will see how it goes but fingers crossed.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Yup, that's how my calibration went.
I'd just had them levelled at setyres (will never go back after what the guy did to my exhaust) and was a bit miffed it was still throwing the error. Did the calibration and all has been well, hopefully it's the same for you.

Reactions: danlightbulb
1 - 11 of 11 Posts