Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I was hoping someone could help me out with my problem.

I've got a 53 plate Mondeo Petrol. When I first bought the car second hand, engine light came on and was telling me it was running lean. Took it to Ford and they've change the upstream O2 sensor which was quite expensive. I drove it with low petrol for a few days and one day it didn't start up. Called RAC and they gave the fuel pump a good whack and then it started. Told me the fuel pump was stuck and I may have to change it.

Was running quite well after a couple of weeks but then after driving for more than an hour at 70mph, I start to feel that the engine loses power every time I step on the accelerator, as if it was pinking. This happened to me on a journey from London to Nottingham, had to stop on the hard shoulder and wait for a while and it was ok. But on the way back, it kept happening, had to stop on the hard shoulder about 3 times and eventually called the RAC.

RAC patrol says I've got an air leak somewhere, so I took it to a garage they recommended and had them smoke test it for leaks but none were found. I also read online that it could be the fuel filter that might be clogging up during long journeys so I had that changed too. After this was all done, a few days later half way through my journey from London to Loughborough and it's done it again. Got to a 50mph zone on the M1 due to roadworks and it loss power and I had to pull over.

What could I do to sort it out?? Will it be expensive?

Thanks

·
Big Megger
2,886 Posts
i would guess pump if no eml light has popped on on the dash. new ones on ebay from 55 or used 20-30. the quick way is to cut the hole over the pump a tad bigger or drop the tank.

do you have a valve on your fuel rail, if so next time it stops put a tyre pressure gauge on it, check its up near 55-60psi

·
Registered
5 Posts
i would guess pump if no eml light has popped on on the dash. new ones on ebay from 55 or used 20-30. the quick way is to cut the hole over the pump a tad bigger or drop the tank.

do you have a valve on your fuel rail, if so next time it stops put a tyre pressure gauge on it, check its up near 55-60psi
There's an EML light on at the moment but I haven't got my reader with me. Last time I checked though it was telling me it was running lean (P0171). Where could I locate the fuel rail to check for a valve?

·
Big Megger
2,886 Posts
some have a valve and some not,

car2-1.jpg

some also can have a dodgy wire in the lower pump, get pressure tested first, use a rag around the valve as a little fuel will escape.

·
7 Posts
Sorry to jump in on your thread, I think I have the same issue. Car (2003 2.0l) seems to run up to about 40mph and seems fine with a steady throttle. If I want to accelerate quickly to overtake, the car looses power and there is a juddering from the engine. Lift off the throttle and it will run ok again. I can only get to 50ish without major power loss. Could you post anything you find please to keep us in the loop? Thanks.

·
Big Megger
2,886 Posts
probably is the pump, been many threads where revs wont go past a certain point, as above pop a gauge on the valve, you will get a reading but give it a rev and see if it drops down. should drop a little but if the needle drops alot its the pump or regulator, new pump either way.

also just quick check the flap actuator, look down behind the throttle body for the plastic arm and ball joint, rev the car make sure it goes up/down.

·
7 Posts
Hi, just to update you all, I replaced the fuel pump and all is well. Thanks for your help. The pump was a pain to replace, mainly because I had to hack away at the access hole to make it large enough to remove pump.

The fuel line clips presented a challenge. I needed a neighbour to give me a hand. You need to press in the red and white collars with someone pulling out the fuel line at the same time.

Make sure you check the orientation of the old pump unit when you remove it from the tank. I got carried away and took it the old one out without noting it. Took a lot of trial and error to get it lined up properly!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts