Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! This is the most organised car support site I've ever encountered!
I hope the brains of this site can steer me to the right direction to sort out my sick Mondeo.
I have a 1998 Ford Mondeo 1.8 TD Ghia. The car has been smashing for nearly three years, but recently I have had to keep the ignition key turned for approx. 30 seconds before the car will start to run correctly. Prior to this, it shakes and the car is extremely noisey. Once it fires up, there is a plume of smoke which covers the car and surrounding areas!! After having this problem, the car runs quite well, apart from the engine being very noisey now and again for no reason that I am aware of. Without wishing to upset drivers of the very old style Transits, it sounds like an old van! Quite embarrassing for a 'S' reg car! I have changed the battery recently, and it has had two recondition alternators two years ago.
Anyone have any ideas of what could be wrong?
I know very little about the mechanicals of cars but I am a little concerned in case it's anything to do with the cambelt, or any other belt!!!
Thanks in anticipation of your much-needed help!
:L

·
Never knowingly understood
23,164 Posts
Welcome to the world that is MEG m8.

You really want to post this problem in the MEG Technical forum.... You'll get a few responses there :L

There's loads to MEG... help, advice and enjoyment in general.

When you sign up for Gold Membership (only £10), you can participate in the Gold Community Zone, for subjects other than Mondeo...

Some Gold member forums are:
The Private Forum, Comedy Zone,
Consumer Electronics Technology & IT,
Sports, Photography, Spotted was it you.
There's also the Armchair Market, where you can post sales, wants, eBay finds, etc, etc...

[color:brown]There are now 2 new Gold forums; Gaming and Offers/Discounts/Vouchers[/color]

Andy.

·
MEG Sergeant
1,543 Posts
It's a possibility that it is a Cambelt or one of the tensioners but not so experienced with the diesel cars, it could be that it's only firing on three cylinders. What have you been running it on in the way of cleaners do you regularly run a fuel injector cleaner through it.
Is your glowplug going out after the 30 seconds ??
Oh and by the way welcome to MEG

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
:thankyousign: Thanks everybody for your advice!
I will put my question into the correct area. I don't know how much a new cambelt will cost but I hope it won't be too much!!!!!
This really is a wonderful site. Thanks again everyone!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
:thankyousign: Thanks very much for your advice! I will sign up for the gold plan, and lets hope it's not too expensive to fix!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Kev. Thanks very much for the advice! Let's hope that the answers will be valuable in advice, but cheap in costs!! :thankyousign:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi. Thanks very much for the guidance! I will check out the glowplug! Good luck to the other half on becoming a PC. A hard job that only the most dedicated of people can do. :thankyousign:

·
MEG Sergeant
1,543 Posts
No problems, as I said I am more experienced with Petrol Engines but go over the basics of diesel motors.

There are some nice diesel motors on here, try pt'ing dieselracer, he may be able to help

:L

1 - 16 of 16 Posts