Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Thinking of buying a mk3 estate, ST TDCI. Currently has 168k on the clock, full service history, loads of receipts, good condition, nothing to say the DMF and clutch have been done though.
Took it for a drive, wasn't bad, couldn't find any symptoms of failure.
Is it possible the original DMF and maybe the clutch too are still there at 168k??
When I drive it the clutch was pretty low but felt very 'tight', it was hard to engage a new gear smoothly without practice. It felt how I'd imagine a solid flywheel conversion to be ( or I was just hoping). I've driven a lot of diesels with dmf's.

·
Dash cams, catch 'em out :)
13,191 Posts
It could still be on the original DMF.
The clutch on the mk3 can often be fine until the day it fails. The mk3 diesel is known to be easy to stall or feel awkward until you are used to it.
On the other hand a new clutch/DMF/servo will cost £750 at an independent garage.

·
Super Moderator
30,323 Posts
I think the DMF on the 2.2 is stronger than the 2L

·
Dash cams, catch 'em out :)
13,191 Posts

·
Super Moderator
30,323 Posts
Sisters old 2002 TDCI went at about 75,000 miles. But she did sit nattering with the

engine ticking over for hours.

She is selling my old car. Since Feb 2015 she has taken it from 174k miles to over

230k miles. DMF still fine on that. But it did have one done at around 110k before

i bought it.

One of the reasons i chose that one. And the wedge of paperwork for almost

£10,000 in repairs since it was new. It was only 5 years old when i bought it.

New tyres at 2300miles. and then new tyres and brakes every 6 months. Ex armed

response vehicle?

Boot floor had been boarded to strengthen the floor/wheel cover and extra holes

did look like an old ex armed response Rover SD1 V8 i bought many years ago.

So that may have been true?

·
Registered
379 Posts
My old 2.0 tdci had a new clutch at 110k, the Biting point was very low and stalling it was very easy until i got use to it!!

Its possible the dmf/clutch has been done.

·
Super Moderator
30,323 Posts
Depends on the rest of the car. Any car can need a clutch and a lot of modern cars

have DMF's so eventually you there is a chance you will need to decide on whether

to spend the money on another unknown car or do the clutch.

The DMF adds about £200 to the clutch change. If you want to avoid the risk of a

DMF needing to be replaced then you may need something older than 2001.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts