Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
right just a quicky i just disconnected my battery on my mk3 tdci 115 and not sure if it reset it or not? left it disconnected about 30 mins pluged it back in turned it on clocks done a quick sweep test? but it started fine? I thought it would run a bit lumpy untill it got used to it again? yet im sure it runs a bit better it used to stall easy but im sure it dont now help me im going mad

·
MEG Corporal
726 Posts
Generally mad people people think they are sane. It's the ones who don't think they're mad that are the problem. :blush:

Never done the reset but I would expect it to fine afterwards, is 30 mins enough time for the ECU to clear?

·
MEG Corporal
1,048 Posts
supposed to be about an hour you leave it

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I usually leave it for an hour, but the way to know that it's done is to try your windows (1 touch won't work). If it did the clock sweep then I reckon it's done.

I've done it 3 times now and it's only idled rough after the reset twice, but that then sorts itself pretty quickly.

Chris

·
Gavin T
9,319 Posts
Read some where else thatn it only needs to be disconnected for 15 minutes, and only left mine for 20 minutes. Reconnected the battery, clocks did a sweep test, recoded the radio, reset the one touch windows, and it started fine no probs. Left it to warm up at idle speed and then idled it at 1200rpm. Went for a drive and got a bloody great surge that threw me back in the seat and though "hell fire this is fantastic!!". But then straight after it settled down and went back to how its supposed to be. Theres definatley an improvement as it pulls noticeably harder than it did before, and seems smoother too. Well chuffed with it and recommend anyone who has altered their engine in any way to go ahead and do the reset.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hmmm I think it was sucsesfull then but the motion lock still works as does the seatbelt reminder well lack of as i turned it off would these remain the same or need resetting normaly? although it seems a lot smoother and ticks over lower and a bit quieter and smokes less i think im gonna do it again anyway to double check but seemed to improve it some what

·
Man in a Jag
15,051 Posts
ScoobyChris said:
You shouldn't ever need to reset it as the ECU is self-learning ;)

Chris
You shouldn't have to, but you do as otherwise it wouldnt make any difference - which many people say it does.

·
Glen
4,110 Posts
I believe that the ecu learns the optimum settings and uses those. as things start to wear it doesn't alter anything so u need to reset it!

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
DavePage said:
You shouldn't have to, but you do as otherwise it wouldnt make any difference - which many people say it does.
It makes a difference because you're forcing it to relearn from scratch so you will notice a difference as it goes into "accelerated" learning mode :D

Chris

·
Little Megger
39 Posts
is it recomended that i do a reset after fitting a tuning box then as i have problems with it sometimes going into limp home mode due to accelerating hard, if it re learns will this mean it will learn about the extra fuel it is getting from the tuning box and not trip into limp home??

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
If you're tripping into limp mode then it's because the common rail sensor/fuel pump is being asked to provide more fuel than the car's ECU will allow. Resetting the ECU won't help with that - you need to turn the tuning box down a bit ;)

Chris

·
Little Megger
39 Posts
ScoobyChris said:
If you're tripping into limp mode then it's because the common rail sensor/fuel pump is being asked to provide more fuel than the car's ECU will allow. Resetting the ECU won't help with that - you need to turn the tuning box down a bit ;)

Chris
shame as i love the kick it gives me on that setting, taking it down a peg is the way to go i think though, was just hoping i didnt have to :evil:

·
Big Megger
176 Posts
In theory you should only need to reset the ECU if something has changed - e.g. if you've changed a part, added some performance mod or, maybe, radically changed your driving style. Otherwise, you'd hope that resetting the ECU would make no difference because it should just learn again what it learned before.

If it does make a difference then, really, it likely points to a bug the engine management software or some problem with the sensor inputs it's receiving. Given all the ECU resets reported here and the benefits they seem to have, they'd be my guesses...

MarkSpace

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.