Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
call me stupid, but regarding the new lib dem leader bloke, 'Menzies Campbell', why do newsreaders call him 'Mingis' - err....Ming..Menz....er....

i know the english language has some anomalies, but i can't see how you can make 'Mingis' out of 'Menzies'.
or is it one of those words like 'Singen' instead of 'St John'??
it's all greek to me.

·
TDDI Buff
37,060 Posts
men Zee's

·
MEG Admiral
2,642 Posts
its like the name st.john-brown, is pronounced sinjun-brown

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
totalguy said:
men Zee's
no, you listen to the news on the radio or tv, they call him 'Ming' or 'Mingis'.
they want to lern how to talk proper like wot i do.
innit? :D

·
TDDI Buff
37,060 Posts
lol ok i dont really watch tv much or listen the the radio

·
Registered
562 Posts
He sounds to me like a serious case of Delusions of grandeur.

A bit like RALPH being pronounced Raiph or for those who remember keeping up apparences on BBC1, Bucket being pronounced as Bouquet

It should be Men Zee's - unless for many years I did a paper round at the local branch of John Ming?? :loopy:

·
Man in a Jag
15,051 Posts
Its like a woman I used to work with, her surname was Mangel (as is to dry your clothes, and that old bird that used to be in Neighbours). She insisted on it being pronounced marn-jell (bit like her from Keeping Up Appearances).

So I insisted she pronounce my surname Par-gee - funnily enough she never had a problem after that me calling her Mangel!

·
AWOL
19,522 Posts
mark_w said:
well can someone tell the BBC then please? :D
The regional dialect says it's pronounced Mingis - he prefers to be called simply "Ming" (like JOnathan being shortened to Jon). Apparently, if journos call him Men-zees then he well gets a cob on!

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
[quote name=mark_w]call me stupid, but regarding the new lib dem leader bloke, 'Menzies Campbell', why do newsreaders call him 'Mingis' - quote]

I'm not saying this is right - it's just a theory on my part. Perhaps the newsreaders almost got his name wrong and almost said "Minger" then realised halfway through the name what they were saying and tried to redeem themselves by saying the second half correctly...

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Glenn said:
The Scots slang pronunciation is "Mingis" although it's spelt Menzies (Men-zees).
His home town is 3 miles from me btw. Useless fact there! :whistling:
well my real name's 'Mark', but from now on, i have decided it should be pronounced 'Norbertshirtlifter'.
all please address me thus in the future.

maybe not.

·
Ugly Little Mo Fo
3,428 Posts
as said it comes down to the regional dialect and inflection. but by feck did the papers have a field day when they found out it was prounounced MINGE, oops might be a bad spelling there :whistling:

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i liked charles kennedy, he seems a decent enough guy, likes a shandy, but hey, it's not a problem now eh?
mind you, politics? boring isn't it?

·
AWOL
19,522 Posts
Well at least he doesn't bat up male prostitutes bums... I work in Winchester btw... :whistling:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts