Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This wasn't the only reason I got a new key (I hate having only 1 key) but I thought it'd sort the problem - it hasn't. It's a bit better but not great.

Old key I could be stood there pressing forever. Walk back to the car, stand by the front door & press & it'll usually do something but some times even this wouldn't do anything & I'd have to open it with the key because I'm pressing 10-20 times & nothing is happening.
Then the Mondeo has that annoying thing where if you don't put the key in the ignition quick, it starts waking up everyone on the street at 5:30am! Awesome!

So I get a new key & to begin with the RCL was great but then it started acting up again. I'd be at the back of the car & press for example & it wouldn't work. Having said that, in case anyone is thinking line of sight - I've had it happen when walking towards the front of the car before too.

So far when I walk to the front of the car & press a few times, it works. Some times the first attempt after walking down the side, sometimes a few attempts, but I've not had to unlock it with the key yet.

2006 MK3 ST.

·
I Love Diesel
2,607 Posts
What brand of batteries do you have in your key fobs? Mine don't like el-cheapo batteries. The locking/unlocking is unreliable and the batteries need replacing regularly if I don't use premium brand.

·
Little Megger
4,827 Posts
There's a few posts on TF about improving the remote range, here's one might help...

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What brand of batteries do you have in your key fobs? Mine don't like el-cheapo batteries. The locking/unlocking is unreliable and the batteries need replacing regularly if I don't use premium brand.
Energizer ones I think. Don't think I've bought Duracell in a while.
Either way I only buy branded because I got sick of the quality of non-branded. The batteries are also brand new.

There's a few posts on TF about improving the remote range, here's one might help...
Thing is, it's not so much the range, it's the receiving/sending.
I've been stood next to the door before pressing like a madman with nothing happening. 10 tries or so and maybe it then works. Other times it'll do it on 1 or 2 tries,
If it can't do it when I'm stood at the door then something isn't quite right.

Though I did learn from that link that I should maybe try standing at the drivers door & not passenger, not that that should really make much of a difference as I should be close enough stood on the other side of the car.

* If you're wondering why I'm trying to press on the passenger side, I will typically be getting my stuff out of the car which is on the passenger side, then going in the house.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I dont own any Ford keys with a remote as i got my mondeo with just a basic key but programmed a Jag Flip key to it and that has pretty decent range, around 15m.

The only time i get issues is when i try to lock the car from inside the house, my one way mirror tint on my house windows seriously attenuates the signal and have to press it up against the glass to reach my car which is about 9m from the window.

I find that the car will lock and unlock fine on even a feint signal but opening or closing the windows and sunroof on the button requires a stronger signal and it refuses to do that from inside my house.

·
Hiding under a Rock
1,022 Posts
try to put the remote against your head. it works a lot better. increases the range (as well as the likelihood of developing a brain cancer - supposedly)

·
Registered
381 Posts
try to put the remote against your head. it works a lot better. increases the range (as well as the likelihood of developing a brain cancer - supposedly)
Ha ha, dont say that, you will trigger the tin foil hat crew!

That said, while RF energy CANNOT cause cancer, the CB in my car is amped up and ive got a few people by getting them to hold the whip and keyed up and given them an RF burn, 200w stings quite a lot lol

·
Super Moderator
31,663 Posts
Whippy springy antenna would be my worry rather than how much power the RF signals are.

Anyone remember when they said overhead powerlines are dangerous because a flourescent tube light glows
when you hold it under them.

I have a copper mesh curtain around my bed like a flyscreen. Need to go and complain to my mobile phone company
my phone keeps losing signal at bedtime. Really puzzling its fine all day but when I goto bed the signal vanishes??
Puzzling....

:D (sorry)

·
I Love Diesel
2,607 Posts
One of my fobs works intermittently (all buttons) and the other works first time, just about every time. Annoyingly, the unreliable fob is the better of the two cosmetically, and all the buttons click. Only the lock button clicks on the other fob.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Whippy springy antenna would be my worry rather than how much power the RF signals are.

Anyone remember when they said overhead powerlines are dangerous because a flourescent tube light glows
when you hold it under them.

I have a copper mesh curtain around my bed like a flyscreen. Need to go and complain to my mobile phone company
my phone keeps losing signal at bedtime. Really puzzling its fine all day but when I goto bed the signal vanishes??
Puzzling....

:D (sorry)
My Antenna?

Its just over 2m long but the base loaded section is a rigid one and the whip section (around 1.6m) does not get close to leaning over far enough to hit people or the car no matter how i drive but i do have to watch out for overhanging trees and the antenna has to come off to get into carparks ha ha.

The antenna is on a drilled hard mount and i only unscrew it when i need to get in somewhere with low clearance, its a permanent feature of my car otherwise and locals call it the bumper car grr.

My CB can be a giggle, im running enough power to send petrol station Tannoy systems wild and can set off some burgler alarms as i pass closed shops pmsl

My home setup knocks out anything using RF and also knocks out all my CCTV cameras, not had any complaints from my neighbors which is surprising.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts