Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I once had a really nice looking mk2 mondeo,which i bought of a guy from ellesmere port,paid £1200 for her back in 06..a white v6 ghia x with 81,000miles on an S plate...s282 tvw....put a scorpion ss twin exit,a 57i air intake 17in wolfrace twin spokes,and a zetec spoiler for the hatch lid...RUST....RUST....Went to car heaven in 2011..the boot floor had had it...4yrs i got out of her...never conked out once on me..not once...super reliable...sounded nice and burbly!!..
Present ford i have had since 09..had her 12yrs..now showing 58,600 odd..miles..boot floor no different from when i bought her..Solid as Solid can be!!..
I have not seen a mk2 mondy for a good while now..the last time i saw one it was the st200 in vgc...
Still plenty of mk3's about which i am happy about..i
She has had a few bit's in the past,the last being the clitch....the other biggy was the brake's...needed new module..blah,blah...over a grand...will never sell it...too good..
Hope you folk's on the Forum are in Rude Health..
Des...

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

·
Mosquito
Mondeo MK 3 2.2 TDCI Ghia X
564 Posts
Mac,

Have had mine since 2009, has done everything that I’ve asked from her, she’s even been my home when I visit Scotland, which I’ve done many times. Like you I will never get rid of her, she is as solid a rock and has done about 75k.

She is having a well earned rest at the moment whilst I dress her in some ST outfits, she is a 2.2 TDCI Ghia X.

Next will be a back box delete, which will then be a straight through from the cat and using the cut out of the refurbished ST rear bumper (I will be keeping the original exhaust rear section for MOT purposes!). I have given the engine a full service, but there is more love to give in a way of thoughtful additions and a bit of a refurb. I will then continue with the underside which really entails cleaning, protecting etc. Suspension is pretty ok, rear brakes may need a bit of a refurb then interior, lights, grills and the list goes on....

Funny enough I have done quite few miles of late and saw one MK2, but no MK3’s !

Take care of yourself and that car, there’s not many left 🙁

Jock

·
Megger
2,465 Posts
When I get into "car talk" with other males, I feel a bit of a freak!!!! I am into my three scores year plus ten and have only had four cars. The first two were Mini, then a Ford Orion and from 2004, my Mk3 TDCI.

Bought it second-hand with 28k on the clock, now got 200k. Had a few glitches but nothing major. Both the a/c and head unit are currently not working and I'm sure if I spent some cash, I could get them working. But she is rust free, sounds good, starts first time, no smoke, only ever failed the MOT due to a brake inbalance or rear indicator not being the right colour(!)

Last saw a garage when Fraud wanted around £3 grand to cure an injector issue, but I did it myself. Recon pump was not cheap but very satisfying. Next job will be front and rear suspension arms etc as the bushes must be well past their sell by date and a cluck assumes the ball joint could be replaced.

SWMBO would like a new car but little does she know that is not about to happen, so please don't tell her!

·
Mosquito
564 Posts
Most of us males must all be freaks then !!! 😁😁

Have had a few more cars than you. First was a corsair 2L V4 then Mk1 cortina, mini 1000, austin maxi, rover sd1 2L, 2x vauxhall cavilier’s, fiat punto, vauxhall frontera then the mondy.

Perhaps from the first car, you can see that I’m no spring chick, just over the three score years.

Now that I’m working on cars again, I realise that my body is not what it use to be.

I’m lucky that my other half has a own car, she does however think I’m crazy about the time, money and effort I’m putting into mondy, she thinks it’s just a car like any other, but we all know different, don’t we !!!

😁😁

·
Registered
2008 Ford C-max 1.6 TDCi 90hp Zetec Sea Grey
6 Posts
Current car is a 1.6TDCi C-max 2008 that I've had for 7 years, this replaced a 2002 Mk6 Fiesta that I had for 4 1/2 years. Have also had a Sierra 1.8 for a couple of years in the past as well.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That 2.2 is pretty bullet proof,from what i gather off the forum, strong enough to go into the STees..are they easy to tune-up?
Not yet driven a diesel mondeo, second hand deisel st is alot of car for not alot of dosh too...
I could of bought the st220, but the ghia x was over3 grand cheaper..paid 5 and a half grand for it at just 4yrs old
You get loads of kit on the ghia x, very comfy and leather interior's..

·
Super Moderator
30,347 Posts
My 2.2 Ghia Estate did not feel as quick off the line as my old 2L Diesel, but the midrange was a big
improvement and it just kept pulling smoothly through the rev range.

Find a nice one and it should do a lot of miles. Problem now is that most of them will have done the miles
or lots of hours running in slow traffic so may have more wear even if the mileage is lower.

·
Mosquito
564 Posts
Mac,

I’ve got the 2.2 tdci, it’s also the ghia x version. The initial reason I got her was to pull our 25ft. caravan. With the diesel it’s all about the torque, she pulled the van like it wasn’t there.

She can be tuned, and made more efficient by improving air intake, exhaust system and then a remap.

I’m at the the latter stages of dressing her in a ST outfit, then will concentrate on the engine. Unfortunately, to get her through the MOT I had to delete the egr from the computer, as I had blanked the valve off, prior to complete deletion, which I knew would light up the EML, which is an MOT failure. I did a deal with the the people who did the delete to do a remap. I now know that the remap should have been done after the improvements.

I will however, consider another remap after my planned improvements on the air intake and exhaust systems.

As regards to driving, I would not push her on initial acceleration, but reaching 2000 - 2500 in fourth gear, she will pull like an express train, fully loaded, and will keep on going and would not know when to stop. Her six gears will keep her revs low.

Saying all this I would like to experience driving the ST 220, in fact if I had the space, room and money I would have both !😊

·
Super Moderator
30,347 Posts
I only keep mine for around 3 - 6 years.

·
Super Moderator
30,347 Posts
I spot a bargain and it prises the money from my pocket. :)

How could I resist (late 2013 bought in late 2018 for £3k)

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Vehicle registration plate

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi new member here. Had my current Mk 1 Mondeo 21 years, (2nd owner)
A Mk1..did you get her from a relative, been stashed away...i remember a neighbour opposite me buying a brand new 'K reg' mondog mk1 in a metalic green/sand sort of thing colour,liked the light's at the back,went across the boot..
Haven't seen one in my neck of the wood's (Wirral) for a long,long time..
What engine is it..anyhow..nice to see an old ford up and running about..you take care now.

·
MEG Corporal
2,722 Posts
I've not seen a MK1 for a while either.

I've had my Titanium X Sport for 8 years now. My previous ST24 for 10 years and Sierra Sapphire for 8 years.

Reactions: Macmondy3L

·
Super Moderator
30,347 Posts
Before I bought my 2.2L MK3 I did have a bit of a search for a 4x4 Mondeo. I would have wanted a really
good one though.

·
Mk3 4 LYFE
381 Posts
Well over 7 years now. I would have probably had one a little longer, if silly insurance costs, appendicitis, deaths, and Christmas didn't all hit me at once in late 2012.

Now that I think about it, I've never owned a car which didn't overlap with the Mondeo. It is my second car out of... Hard to define. Technically 4, but more like 7. As a 2005, it's still the newest car I've owned. It's my favorite too, although it's so different to the others that it's hard to compare them.

I've hung onto it because I like it, but also I can trust it more than I would any other car because I know it, and it's easy and cheap to fix even if stuff did go wrong. Replacing it makes no sense at all, so it stays. That nobody wants them means it's worth much more to me than its financial price.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts