Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have an old Mondeo Mk1 in very good mechanical conditions. Was looking into adding some power with turbo. That is not a common thing done around here in my country. I would like to know how much of the engine (and other stuff) have to be prepared, and how much power/torque can the stock powertrain, transmission, clutch and the gearbox handle.

Original specs are:
115 PS / 113 bhp / 84 kW @ 5750 rpm
157 Nm / 116 ft.lb / 16 kgm @ 3750 rpm

·
Super Moderator
29,701 Posts
Too many variables. Are you talking of a drag strip 6000rpm dumping the clutch or a gentle increase in torque
with a rolling car and 7psi of boost.

Plenty of cars with the same setup that put out far more power.

Keeping a high compression ratio and low boost or lowering the compression to give more boost?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Too many variables. Are you talking of a drag strip 6000rpm dumping the clutch or a gentle increase in torque
with a rolling car and 7psi of boost.

Plenty of cars with the same setup that put out far more power.

Keeping a high compression ratio and low boost or lowering the compression to give more boost?
Sorry that it took me so long.

I just don't want the car to break. I'm more inclined to have a relative robustness than power. If I someday feel like dumping the clutch to burn tires from a complete stop, I want it to not break anything, even if that requires a big of a sacrifice in performance.

The mechanic who is preparing the car said he is going to distribute the torque as linear as possible. He is not very familiar with the model, but he doesn't trust the gearbox to hold too much instant torque. So the car will not be built for drag strips. I will be happy if I get to have my head "glued" to the seat headrest by pushing the gas all the way through when we are already cruising at 60-80 km/h.

·
Super Moderator
29,701 Posts
What are you adding? Turbo, Supercharger, Nitrous?

Simple option drop in the 2L instead of the 1.8?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What are you adding? Turbo, Supercharger, Nitrous?

Simple option drop in the 2L instead of the 1.8?
Turbo. Already spent a good money rectifying its original 1.8 Zetec engine. Wouldn't have if I knew it would cost me U$ 2k. I don't think replacing it by a 2.0 would have a good cost/benefit.

·
Super Moderator
29,701 Posts
2L will have an extra 20bhp from the start. How much money will you need to spend to get 20bhp or how much extra power
will a 2L turbo engine produce compared to the 1.8?

Lots of option and obviously only you know whats right for you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My main concern is the gear breaking before the engine on turbo. I can later forge the engine and expand the cylinders to 2.0. That wouldn't be a problem. Doing that if still much cheaper than forging the gearbox.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts